Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor Grand Master On Factory 115gr Ammo and stock Glock?

Joeg26er

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

so taking that out of the mix, the best I know of is a local shooter that made master with a G34 shooting from concealment and reloading from concealment. if he were to go to a race belt setup I believe he would make GM, but the reloads from concealment cost him just enough to keep him from making it. also I believe he runs an aftermarket recoil spring so that probably disqualifies him

Gabe would absolutely make GM with a race belt, or if he shot a G35 rather than a G34. Changing either of those things would push him over the edge, I'm pretty certain. I have seen him put up multiple "hundos", that were torpedoed by shooting minor PF. I still think he will make GM at some point even with his current setup, it is just going to take longer. 

1 hour ago, ATLDave said:

Can the timer tell the difference?  IDK.   Maybe not.  

I would bet the timer can't. Try it and get back to us.

I am positive someone could make GM with a gun straight out of the box and factory ammo if they wanted. If Gabe can get that close to it while shooting from concealment, doing it from a regular setup seems extremely doable. 

8 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Gabe would absolutely make GM with a race belt, or if he shot a G35 rather than a G34. Changing either of those things would push him over the edge, I'm pretty certain. I have seen him put up multiple "hundos", that were torpedoed by shooting minor PF. I still think he will make GM at some point even with his current setup, it is just going to take longer.

Anyone who's squadded with Gabe (I'm lucky enough to be in that group) would attest to his skill. The guy is a monster. If he went to a race rig, I'm of the opinion it would take quite some time for him to get to his current level, much less surpass it. From talking to him, his secret sauce is not only his natural talent, but the man practices. And practices some more. All with his concealment set-up. I'm guessing a change in rigging (particularly if he had to have a production "behind the hips" set up), it'd throw him off by quite a bit. But yes, eventually he'd probably get to GM. I'm still routing for him to get there with his current MO.

4 minutes ago, ATLDave said:

No.  I'm not changing over my loading setup just to go back to a load I know I don't like as much!  

It could be quite enlightening though, is all I'm saying. People often (not saying this is necessarily you) spend way too much time worrying about shit that doesn't matter. Working on finding the perfect load that has 5% less felt recoil and 2.13% less muzzle rise is a waste of time, effort, and money. Pick something and shoot. 

Also, lighter bullets are cheaper.

3 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Anyone who's squadded with Gabe (I'm lucky enough to be in that group) would attest to his skill. The guy is a monster. If he went to a race rig, I'm of the opinion it would take quite some time for him to get to his current level, much less surpass it. From talking to him, his secret sauce is not only his natural talent, but the man practices. And practices some more. All with his concealment set-up. I'm guessing a change in rigging (particularly if he had to have a production "behind the hips" set up), it'd throw him off by quite a bit. But yes, eventually he'd probably get to GM. I'm still routing for him to get there with his current MO.

I don't agree. If he switched to a normal setup he would quickly match and surpass his current speed, because of the exact reason you state (he practices a ton). It is just a fact that outside the waistband/non-concealed equipment is quicker to get at. If he did reloads at the same relative speed as currently does but didn't have to fight his shirt to get there, he will easily save 0.2-0.5 per reload. Highly skilled shooters don't really get thrown off by changes in equipment in my experience; they just make the change, train with that change for a little while, and pick up very near where they left off. Because the fundamentals of drawing/reloading/shooting a gun are always the same. Regardless of whether you are shooting an open gun from a race holster or a factory gun from AIWB. 

In sum- it's virtually impossible to become a GM Limited minor with a stock Glock with fiber optic sights without using powder puff loads

would that be an accurate statement?

Lol, no.

I'm not sure how you could possibly come to that conclusion.

I don't agree. If he switched to a normal setup he would quickly match and surpass his current speed, because of the exact reason you state (he practices a ton). It is just a fact that outside the waistband/non-concealed equipment is quicker to get at. If he did reloads at the same relative speed as currently does but didn't have to fight his shirt to get there, he will easily save 0.2-0.5 per reload. Highly skilled shooters don't really get thrown off by changes in equipment in my experience; they just make the change, train with that change for a little while, and pick up very near where they left off. Because the fundamentals of drawing/reloading/shooting a gun are always the same. Regardless of whether you are shooting an open gun from a race holster or a factory gun from AIWB. 
Gooldy is correct, as per usual.

14 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

It could be quite enlightening though, is all I'm saying. People often (not saying this is necessarily you) spend way too much time worrying about shit that doesn't matter. Working on finding the perfect load that has 5% less felt recoil and 2.13% less muzzle rise is a waste of time, effort, and money. Pick something and shoot. 

I did.  That's why I'm not going to go back and forth to my old load to see if I can measure a difference on the timer.  

All of us use reloads to get sufficient enough accuracy and be above the minor floor. But the question is why? try to make GM with a Minor floor Glock?  One of local LEO Hoser's made GM with a G20 duty gun and duty ammo (hot, hot, hot).  But then he could control the weapon at 290 lbs and a 64" chest, all muscle.  Made Arnold like a mini me.

If that is your goal, that's a noble goal. It's just going to hurt allot unless it's all A's... and very, very quickly...   It's like when I shoot my G31 carry gun with full house ammo on a classifier (too painful to run the whole match). It only makes sense to me, and no one else. 

Edited by 9x45

21 hours ago, Joeg26er said:

In sum- it's virtually impossible to become a GM Limited minor with a stock Glock with fiber optic sights without using powder puff loads

would that be an accurate statement?

no, that's not how math works. What's more accurate is that it's unlikely anyone who wanted to be a GM or win matches would intentionally choose equipment that is not popular for high-level competition.

i'm pretty sure gabe (or any other sold M shooter) could make GM with that setup if they got to choose the classifiers.

Edited by motosapiens

Absolutely doable. 

I mean, a lot of GM % classifiers I’ve shot were little to no points down anyway. 

Not all, but some. 

The shooting portion .40 2011 vs Production G34 changes very little, if anything I can shoot the 34 a little faster (because 9 ).  

Reloads... eh, plenty of people reload Glocks plenty fast. 

When things come together on a Classifier and everything happens right, chances are the results would have been somewhat similar with a different gun. 

I know people who made M in Prod shooting 100% stock Glock 34's with off the shelf ammo. I lost track with them but I would not be surprised if one or two of them made it to GM.

So yes, I would say it is entirely possible for a person to make GM in Limited, shooting factory minor pf loads out of a bone stock 34.

But they would be a decided minority.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...