Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg/Maverick pump shotgun flaw?

JohnAdam

First off, I'm a huge Mossberg & Maverick fan. 97% of my shotguns are Mossberg or Maverick pumps.

more: chung cu the sun me tri

Models include 88, 500, 500A, 510, 505, 835, 590, & 590A1. I would trust my life with any of the above guns.

Recently I learned of what "some" would call a design flaw in the Mossberg pattern pump shotgun. It is when dropped on it's side, the tabs holding the shell elevator may pop out...and if you don't notice it and rack the pump, it will cause the gun to hopelessly jam.

more: chung cu golden park tower

Has anyone else experienced this?

My cousin who likes to tinker with things thought he may try make a modification to the elevator to prevent this, BUT because he doesn't want some to sue him(or me) if they try it and there is a problem..he's advised me not to mention the details of his intended modification.

Mossberg admits there was an issue with some guns back in 1998, but they claim it was fixed.

more: gia chung cu 17 pham hung

Edited by JohnAdam

I spent a few years in the Army where we had Mossberg 500's and 590's, some converted to 14" breeching barrels.  Those things were more than beat to heck and back, thrown around, dropped, loaded in the back of GMV's, and never once did I see or hear of the issue you mention.  I love my personal 590 and also have never had the issue.  YMMV.