Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDs 9mm Load Data

Mac_Menamy

Hello everyone! 

Still figuring a lot of stuff out but I had a question. I’m trying to find a good load for a Springfield XD-s 9mm. I know most load dats goes off of a 4” barrel so would the shorter barrel make a huge difference? Or would I still follow the low and high for the specific powder I’m using as the manual states? I want to load for target/self-defense so nothing crazy. Anyone have any good loads for their XD-s? I plan on using Xtreme 115s or 124s if that helps. Thanks!

The barrel length won't affect the safe charge weight range but it does affect performance/function. The longer the barrel the more velocity it will produce. What does this mean for you? If you were looking to achieve a constant bullet speed for 3 different barrel lengths (e.g. 3.3", 4", 6") using the same components for each the 3.3" barrel would need the most powder and the 6" barrel the least.

Below is an example which hopefully better explains my ramblings above:

Safe charge weight range for a 147gr bullet with Titegroup = 3.2gr - 3.6gr

3.3" barrel - 147gr FMJ - 3.6gr of Titegroup - OAL 1.09 = 900 ft/s

4" barrel - 147gr FMJ - 3.4gr of Titegroup - OAL 1.09 = 900 ft/s

6" barrel - 147gr FMJ - 3.2gr of Titegroup - OAL 1.09 = 900 ft/s

Edited by 4n2t0

Lymans 49th Edition states that for a 115 gr Jacketed HP and Titegroup with a OAL of 1.090:

Starting: 4.0 Grains

Max Load Grains: 4.5

Velocity: 1046 to 1119

I currently have an XDS 3.3"

I load my Xtreme Copper jacketed 115 grain bullets with 4.0 grains Titegroup with a OAL of 1.12. My measured average (25 rounds) velocity is 1093.0 fps.

Per Lyman's 49th Edition Max OAL for the 9mm is 1.169

I went with the lowest load that will operate the slide properly while minimizing felt recoil.

Thank you both for the help! I just wanted to make sure that the shorter barrel wouldn’t make anything major change or if you still go off of the load data in the books. I didn’t think it would change much but wanted to make sure