Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol powder

jeffroberdo

On 8/9/2017 at 7:38 PM, bowenbuilt said:

Oh yeah, they screwed up the second batch by making it slower. I was very happy with the first batch that came in, it was clean and did not smoke. I purchased a good quantity of it after I ran through the first batch and as soon as the weather got a little humid it smoked like a freight train and to get it to clean up I had to get up to 135 PF. Don't get me wrong, it plenty usable but if they had left it alone I would still be using it and perfectly happy. Clean Shot didn't do any better in the Summer conditions, I had to look under the smoke to see my target. Sport Pistol does not have this problem so for me it is the hands down winner.

Bowenbuilt, If you have tried Prima SV, I would love to hear of your experience with that powder. I am especially interested in how it behaves compared to E3 in 9mm shooting 124-135gr coated pills at minor PF.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 4:26 PM, IDescribe said:

Here's Alliant's load data for it:

SportPistol.png.a24a3161a83c9bec84f10e09227e2822.png

Well, that looks like a 9mm minor powder to me. ;) 

I just got a jug of this yesterday and was about to load some.  Any idea why the rn lead and rn coated have different max loads?

I wanted to share my experience with Sport Pistol so far. I’m shooting 147gr Leatherhead 9mms out of a 1911 for reference. Load is 3.4gr of SP at 1.150 OAL, making 910-920 FPS.

As compared to Titegroup, it’s much cleaner, less smoky, and the gun gets less hot. The difference is very noticeable.

As compared to N320, it’s noticeably cleaner and less smoky, but not as massive of a difference as compared to TG (of course).

Group sizes were all roughly the same, although the tightest single group I shot out of this gun was with N320, the average ones are all very similar. Not hard to get sub 2in at 20 yards with any of them. All in all, I have not seen a downside to SP yet. It meters well, it’s cheap, it is extremely clean, consistent, and low smoke. I’m extremely happy with it, and will continue to use it until something else way better or as good and way cheaper comes out, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. This stuff is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, conditionone said:

"Any idea why the rn lead and rn coated have different max loads?"

Shorter OAL?

I was under the impression that coated bullets were treated like lead in load data.  I was just curious why the difference.

2 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

If it is the EXACT SAME BULLET then yes, the testing pressures would be very similar. A different bullet, not so much. There are many reasons why 2 differing bullet styles and shapes are not comparable. 

So, when you're loading coated bullets, you just pick the most similar lead bullet there's data for?

Not really. Each gun is a rule into its self. You make ladder rounds, learn how to check for excessive pressure, use a chronograph and test the different loads in YOUR gun using the load data in the book as a starting point. Loading manuals are a test of a particular gun or pressure barrel on a specific day using a specific lot of powder. You cannot expect to get the same results in your gun, it simply does not work that way. Use the manual as a guide and put in the work to find a safe load that meets the criteria you are looking for. Testing, patience and time are the ingredients in finding the safe and perfect load for your particular gun.

I'm really liking this powder here are some targets, my favorite range load is 3.3 grs with a 147 acme flat point loaded to 1.15 oal and its moving about 915 fps out of my g-34 it's shooting a 2-1/8" group at twenty five yards about 850 fps out of a sig compact with very good grouping.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Any one using Sport Pistol ? I just started shooting in USPSA , ( production) I'm using power pistol (5.4 behind 124 ) right now .  It doesn't appear to be very popular in the production class, I'm about  ready to purchase more powder , your thoughts ? 

It is still pretty new. The scuttlebutt is that it is a very reasonable alternative to the Tightgroup/320/PrimaV type powders for 9mm minor.

I don't have any Tightgroup/320 experience but have loaded both Prima V and Sport Pistol for 9mm minor with 147 coated bullets (Blue). For me they seem very similar. Sport Pistol may be a bit cleaner but "cleanliness" seems to be very load dependent (and perhaps gun dependent) in my experience.

I will probably buy more Sport Pistol but if Prima V was the only thing available I wouldn't have a problem with it and one of these days I'll pick up some 320.  I really get the feeling that there is a class of relatively fast burning powders for 9mm minor that would work for most people and it matters more which one you first developed a good load for as much as anything as to which one you choose.

You will find Sport Pistol to be a great powder with very few, if any negative traits. The difference i found between it and V is the amount of smoke when using coated bullets. It was intended to be an inexpensive N320 replacement. I think it does an excellent job at what it was intended to do.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Went to the range today with my Sig PCC-

4.4 grs.- 124 JHP PD- 1.130 OAL- 146.30 PF

Very accurate- 

Going back Thursday to try 4.0 gr with the 124 JHP- looking for a 135 PF

4.6 gr with 115 FMJ PD- looking for a 135 PF

On 8/9/2017 at 7:38 PM, bowenbuilt said:

Oh yeah, they screwed up the second batch by making it slower. I was very happy with the first batch that came in, it was clean and did not smoke. I purchased a good quantity of it after I ran through the first batch and as soon as the weather got a little humid it smoked like a freight train and to get it to clean up I had to get up to 135 PF. Don't get me wrong, it plenty usable but if they had left it alone I would still be using it and perfectly happy. Clean Shot didn't do any better in the Summer conditions, I had to look under the smoke to see my target. Sport Pistol does not have this problem so for me it is the hands down winner.

What about WinClean 244?

Just now, bowenbuilt said:

No leaking on any of my Dillons. None.

Thank you! 

No leaking on any of my Dillons. None.

No experience with it. Yet.

Thanks! Have been consulting with Kevin regarding powders and SP & 244 seem to continue to surface...

1 hour ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I've been told it seeps out the powder bar on a 650. What a bummer because that is what I load with... Is anyone else loading SP on a 650..?

I just bought a brand new 650 (after using a Square Deal B for a year.) Sport Pistol leaked until I polished the powder and spacer bars and added cellophane tape to the spacer bar. It didn't leak from the older SDB powder measure.