Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Shorty" open guns for USPSA?

ksf141

Thanks for all the feedback, some extremely helpful insight here.  Lots to think about as I keep my eye open for a pre-owned open gun.  Would love to see some more open guns built with the Schuemann Tribrid barrel and no comp.  

the shorty guns with the steel grip looks like a nice combo but adding up the cost makes it tough.  

35 minutes ago, ksf141 said:

Thanks for all the feedback, some extremely helpful insight here.  Lots to think about as I keep my eye open for a pre-owned open gun.  Would love to see some more open guns built with the Schuemann Tribrid barrel and no comp.  

the shorty guns with the steel grip looks like a nice combo but adding up the cost makes it tough.  

years ago I asked a Team SVI shooter about that setup they sold

he said, it works but it won't beat an open gun

I started with a Matchmaster, but was able to get a Hardy Mongoose recently (Technically I got 2, lol). I just prefer the shorties. I have shot the full sized guns and they are certainly a bit softer feeling, but I just like the quickness of the shorty. 

I really think it comes down to personal preference. 

I do wonder how a steel grip would affect how it shoots. 

On 2/2/2018 at 8:58 AM, ksf141 said:

The tribrid is not as effective as a regular comp. (I have used both) But there is one distinct advantage to the tribrid: You can get away with all kinds of stuff like foot faults since it is so friggin' loud, the RO will not tailgate you one bit. ;) Besides that, the reduced reciprocating mass may be a plus. Minor loads in a gun for steel probably OK. Major loads, very unpleasant.