Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to Carry Optic

petrojc

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Reminds me of when I started shooting open.   Let me add some parameters around dry firing, make sure your dry fire routine  includes leaning around corners, sqatting down into a window and all the odd positions we encounter in a match, then throw in some reloads in those off positions, followed by two more rounds weak and strong hand.   

Honestly there isn't anything more fustrating than being  4 feet from a target and a no shoot, and shooting the no shoot 3 times while searching for the dot.  There is just no short cut to dot mastering lots of time with your new friend the dot.  I'm guessing it took me about a year to master the dot, after that I didn't look at it when a target was only a few feet away I trusted my point and shoot ability.

But if you can read this you don't need a dot, you can shoot irons, just need the right glasses.

Some great tips.. I find my self chasing the dot also at times.. if the target is up close I get it quick  toss it out 20 yrds I tend to focus on the glass and not target till I see the dot.... trying to get used to bringing the gun up to the target and not chasing... I jus need to dryfire a heck of a lot more......

2 hours ago, chrisstophere said:

Do you mean that you see the streak from the recoil and shoot when that streak is in the part of the target you're aiming for?

yes. if you wait for a still, crisp dot it better be for a 25 yard head shot.

27 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

yes. if you wait for a still, crisp dot it better be for a 25 yard head shot.

I don't really experience it this way. I think if you're maximizing the efficiency of grip and stance the dot settles up really fast. When I'm shooting at my best it's almost like the dot snaps back to the target and looks fully still to me by the time the next shot fires, even though the split may be in the low teens. To your point, waiting for it to be still would be bad, but I think the goal should be to force the dot to be still the instant it is back on target. I feel like that's a better direction to go rather than settling for the dot being blurry on closer targets. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not bad to have the skill to hit what you want with a lot of dot movement. There are bound to be times where the setup of the position requires compromising your recoil management but probably not a lot of them in a given match.

true, i do not have the strongest grip. a weakness i'm working on.

i think some of what i'm saying is also eye dependent ( have good vision but terrible eyesight) to a little bit as well. it takes me longer than i'd like to see the dot appear on the target for the second shot. so i've gotten used to shooting with a bit of "streak" for the second shot, versus dot-shoot-dot-shoot

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

Yeah. Dryfire. Every day.

This. A lot of people I've talked to about this issue dry fired a lot starting out with irons, then expected to pick up a CO gun and the magic to be there automatically.  It takes some investment.  

If you have co-witness irons, dry fire a little at the start of each session with the dot off, then turn it on and it should be "right there."

I've found that the grip out of the holster is key. If I get my hand on the gun in the right position and present the dot is right there. It's when I grab the gun with the grip is just a little off...I have to search for the dot.

Edited by kipdynamite

On 2/2/2018 at 2:43 PM, CocoBolo said:

Let me add some parameters around dry firing, make sure your dry fire routine  includes leaning around corners, sqatting down into a window and all the odd positions we encounter in a match, then throw in some reloads in those off positions, followed by two more rounds weak and strong hand. 

Hadn't thought about that yet, but we had a weak hand string in our classifier this weekend. Several people who have not been shooting open/co very long were talking about how much trouble they were having finding the dot left handed. My holster should be here Tuesday. I will dry fire practice all week, take off work Friday (birthday) to go to the range and sight it in, then run it for steel challenge Saturday. That will give me 25 opportunities to draw and shoot during a match before I shoot it in USPSA the following weekend.

On 1/23/2018 at 5:03 PM, wtturn said:

A refined index through repetition is the only way. 

I would agree with this.  I tried the Glock with a dovetail insert and you really need to to this with the Glock.  Using the CZ or Witness the natural pointability helps a lot.  I draw the gun and use my index finger to index the gun.  The Glock index finger rides higher on the slide .  It does not take too many repititions to make it work.

My SP01 slide won't be back from CZ Custom for 8 weeks.  I have another slide on my SP01 so that I can dry fire it.   I have a dovetail mounted RTS2 on my Glock 34.  Should I start dry firing the Glock to get used to the red dot or spend more time getting used to the SP01?

Thanks

So, two of my sons have decided to start shooting with me. My 19 yr old absolutely hates the dot. He is shooting my SA CZ 75 in limited minor. My 13 yr old was handling my "new" carry optics gun (Glock 34), and tells me he likes the grip, must have a dot, but the Glock won't do because the trigger is terrible (I have it breaking at 3#, he hates the feel). I am hoping to pick up a G19 and let him decide between it and my CZ P-07 to convert to carry optics. 

I took the G34 to the range this morning to zero the dot. I used a handgun rest from my silhouette days to keep everything steady. Good news: can head-shoot a metric target all day long from the rest. The dot is on! Bad news: not only am I going to have to "learn" the dot, but also the Glock trigger...have done some work on it, breaks around 3lbs, but wow. I have been shooting single actions (1911 and CZ) for so long now that I forgot about the plastic trigger. The steel match I was going to tomorrow has been cancelled due to weather, so I am probably gonna stay inside and dry fire like 9,000 times to get a feel for the new beast.

On 2/5/2018 at 12:07 PM, BadShot said:

My SP01 slide won't be back from CZ Custom for 8 weeks.  I have another slide on my SP01 so that I can dry fire it.   I have a dovetail mounted RTS2 on my Glock 34.  Should I start dry firing the Glock to get used to the red dot or spend more time getting used to the SP01?

Thanks

Order a dovetail for your CZ? That's what I did. My slide is still being milled, but I'm curious to see if the indexing is going to be effected.

I went ahead and ordered a dovetail mount for the RTS2, it sits up fairly high.  I couldn't find my copy of Steve Anderson's book, so I ordered a new one.  I've been dry firing about fifteen minutes a day with the new setup.  Indexing on the strong hand side of things is going okay, weak hand is gonna take a bunch of work...

Thanks

Well, I have run into another issue. My 13 yr old cannot rack the slide on the P-07 with the dot mounted. He used to be able to come over the top of the slide and it improved his grip on the small CZ slide. Do y'all think it would be a problem if he used the front serrations and the back of his hand pressed on the sight to help with leverage? I'm not comfortable with it, but maybe someone here can assure me he isn't going to put enough stress on the sight or mount to break something, or knock it loose.

Well, I have run into another issue. My 13 yr old cannot rack the slide on the P-07 with the dot mounted. He used to be able to come over the top of the slide and it improved his grip on the small CZ slide. Do y'all think it would be a problem if he used the front serrations and the back of his hand pressed on the sight to help with leverage? I'm not comfortable with it, but maybe someone here can assure me he isn't going to put enough stress on the sight or mount to break something, or knock it loose.

What if he just blades the RMR with the web of his hand between the thumb and index finger? I often do that with my RMR on my G19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the assistance and input. I shot my first carry optics match today. It is the best match I have shot in months, and I am still slow on the first shot. I am very optimistic about shooting this division. I have committed to giving it at least 6 months without shooting any iron sight guns. Again, thank you all. You have really helped me.

I recently picked up a lightly used Gen5 Glock with an ATEI-mounted Trijicon RMR. I *thought* I'd have to send it back to ATEI for slide serrations until I got the pistol in hand.

Grab the slide like you always did. The optic will touch the palm of your hand but as stated - if it can handle the recoil of the pistol when being fired it will have handle you handling it to cock the pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iv never shot pistols with one yet but my LMT has a lucid on it and it was the strangest feeling keeping both eyes open and on target. Took me a month or so of practicing to get it down....still practicing even 3 years later but iv found my target acquisition with it on is much faster. Practice snap caps and dry firing around the house aiming at random objects.

• 1 month later...