Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55gr vs 77gr for 350yds

Jmoreno88

Have an upcoming 3 gun match that will have a few 300+ yard steels on 18in plates. Getting some 77gr smk loaded up for the spinner and just wondering if I should use them also for the long range or stick with my 55gr loads? I've heard either way, but people on here are smarter. Running it out of 1/8, 16in barrel with a red dot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know, you'd have to try them in your gun,

BUT, a RED DOT for 18" plates at 350 yards - WOW !!!!!    [emoji144]

That's great shooting.   I'd have trouble with a 4x scope at that distance    .    B)
Yea im gonna load a few up of each and try them at the range the day before the match.
As far as the red dot, I've gotta use these young eyes while I have them. We usually run 150yds and under at our matches and all of a sudden they throw in these long ranges for this shot show match so I gotta run what I have.

Dunno if it will work as good for you but all my 223 has guns shoot remarkably with 77 grain nosler custom competition bullets with around 23 grains of H322 powder behind them. The 16” gun will go 10 for 10 @425 on a 8” plate. The wife’s 24” gun will do a 4” group @ 500 . Both with the exact same load and both 1/8 twist

Good luck!

Dunno if it will work as good for you but all my 223 has guns shoot remarkably with 77 grain nosler custom competition bullets with around 23 grains of H322 powder behind them. The 16” gun will go 10 for 10 @425 on a 8” plate. The wife’s 24” gun will do a 4” group @ 500 . Both with the exact same load and both 1/8 twist
Good luck!
I'll be using cfe223 since that's what I already have but good to know it works for you. I'll have to look up your velocity and keep it in mind for reference point. Thanks

I started running into pressure signs before I hit my targeted velocity with 77 gr bullets and cfe 223.  I use ramshot tac for my 77 grain loads.
What was your targeted velocity? I'll probably be sticking around 25-2600

I don't load my own, using Stillwood Ammo 77gr SMK's, but those are my go to >200yds.  They cut the wind a little better than 55gr bullets, but 350yds isn't really long enough to reap all the benefits of a 77gr projectile.  I use them past 200yds because they're more consistent than the cheap 55gr that run for the close in hoser stuff.  I'll sometimes use the 77gr inside of 200yds if the target is small for the same reason though.

I don't load my own, using Stillwood Ammo 77gr SMK's, but those are my go to >200yds.  They cut the wind a little better than 55gr bullets, but 350yds isn't really long enough to reap all the benefits of a 77gr projectile.  I use them past 200yds because they're more consistent than the cheap 55gr that run for the close in hoser stuff.  I'll sometimes use the 77gr inside of 200yds if the target is small for the same reason though.
Yea i mainly use the 77s for rifle spinners but didn't know if there was any large benefit to using them for around 300 yds compared to my 55s. I very rarely shoot long range with anything and if 77s aren't going to make a big difference for 300 then I'll stick to 55s for it and keep 77s for the spinners

55s are not built the same. I use regular 55fmj are probably to 200. 55 ballistic tips were pretty consistent for me out to 400. However, the BTs cost more than 77SMKs.

So, if you already have them anyway, use them. My 77s drop 16.5 inches at 350, so if your eyes are young, hold half a plate high.

55s are not built the same. I use regular 55fmj are probably to 200. 55 ballistic tips were pretty consistent for me out to 400. However, the BTs cost more than 77SMKs.
So, if you already have them anyway, use them. My 77s drop 16.5 inches at 350, so if your eyes are young, hold half a plate high.
Thanks for the info. Yea they're 18in gongs so I think if I aim at the tip rim I should be good

I have used x193-miltary ammo out past 400 yards. 

Personally, I think 77 are over-kill at <600 yards.  69gr SMK work great. 55-62 are perfect at 400.  But it could be my gun-definitely not the shooter.

Not being a big 3G guy, I have shot RM3G.  I tried to standardize on one weight so I did not have to deal with changes in drop. 

At my old range, I would do my initial drop with the SWARO application then go to the range with pairs of targets at different ranges with different ammo.  This validated or changed my dope.

Shooting 3gun with longer shots I have found that 55’s work great to about 200, farther than that I use 77’s. RM3G is the perfect example. I carry different mags with each and change as needed. No need the shoot a 77 at a hoser target, but you WILL have better luck using them at longer ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have my dope with me but I seem to remember the 193 and 69 smk were very close to each other.  I have used Hornady steel match stuff also.  I just won't reload .223 anymore.  It is not worth the pain to me.

I am not shooting for groups per se but making sure they were hitting the paper in the similar locations- A zone hits on both targets.

My routine is chrono all the ammo I am shooting that day, go to the 100 yard tube to confirm the groups with no wind, etc.  Proceed to the other range and set pairs of targets at ~100, 200, 300, 400 yards.  Compare the pairs.  If I am close I am good to go.

I am using a JP 18 in. barrel with a Swaro 1.7-10x scope with a bipod on concrete benches.

• 2 weeks later...

I run Hornady 55gr fmj bullets at 3100FPS. My Nosler CC 77gr load is right at 2620fps. When I plug that into Strelok the 77gr bullets drop more than the 55gr bullets. Unless it was super windy or you have a target you have to move, the 55gr bullets will do better while costing less.