Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Freeze: A new way to fail!

Makicjf

I have to laugh.... I froze the trigger... wrecking a good run

Having no real time  revolver help, so I'll ask the experts here:

what can I do to improve turn then draw?

How do you not dummy up and freeze your trigger?

Stuck at 87% and practicing my mistakes!

I'm grateful for any input!

Jason

Most people don’t snap on the turn. Turn to target while you are getting hand to grip. If your getting your hand on grip, then turning, your losing time. Also preload your non-turning leg so you don’t have to transfer weight in the turn. 

Edited by HoMiE
Speeling

I actually dry fire every day... enough to make my wife crazy.  I shoot at a minimum of 20 rounds a day as well, most days more ( though some are from my 625, 454 or some other noise maker).  The two questions dovetail well, as I'll have the occasional freeze on dry fire ( should have been my hint!)  I think I have a 10 lbs rebound spring, and I can easily bump that up a bit. 

I'll need to cogitate on how to turn an grip w/o leaving the holster to soon.  I think that was my concern, so taught myself to turn then draw.  The pre loading makes sense.

Thanks,

Jason

You only need to worry about 90 degrees if you turn to strong side. At beep, snap head, get that strong side leg turned and by time you get grip and draw you should be safe coming out of holster. 

Sometimes I feel like I invent new ways to stumble, so I err on the cautious side.  Your description makes good sense!

I see a change in practice/ dry fire time in my future!  I really appreciate the help!

Thank you!

Jason

Work your trigger finger both directions. Don't ride the trigger forward. When going fast, it's easy to not release the trigger all the way, regardless of spring weight. This results in a lockup until you fully release and start over. Train to do it right with any springs.

Start slowly and see and feel the mechanics of what's happening, then incrementally increase your speed. This is a good way to practice the draw, or any other element.

My turn times don't suffer much compared to my regular draw times, maybe .1-.2

I'm not really sure what I'm doing differently, the video is kind of blurry on my phone. I can tell you I snap around and look for where the sights need to go. 

Dry fire will show you the trigger return speed better than anything else. But don't underestimate a good heavy rebound spring either. When I have my guns built now, and I'm asked what weight I want the trigger, I say I don't care as long as it returns well. 

Really appreciate all the help.   I'm going to up the return spring, I froze dry firing last night.   Re-thinking the turn and draw makes sense.  I have literally been doing two complete steps--- turning, planting my feet then doing a standard draw stroke--- very safe, but slower than is required for success.  I worked a bit last night on combining the two---Step one at the beep

Left hand to stomach, right hand grip head and shoulders snaps to target, strong side leg towards target

Step 2- swivel hips and weak leg on up stroke of revolver , support grip rotate revolver, bring revolver to dominant  eye ( looking at the A)  trigger press.

I should be able to break a shot as son as the weak side foot hits the ground.

I'll run a few more days of dry fire, then add ammo

Really appreciate the help!

Jason