Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Definition of Facing downrange

gerritm

My son had a warning call from the RO at a local USPSA match on the SD calling for facing downrange for the start.  Shooting limited. Looked thru a bunch of threads couldn't find an answer.

First call he may have been looking and leaning towards the first target he was heading to. No argument there.Not sure if he was, but took the warning in stride. 

Second warning next stage he made sure his feet & shoulders were square to the back of the berm facing downrange and, his head was turned looking towards the first target/shooting position and was told his head had to be facing the back of the berm also. So we have shot literally at least a hundred matches and never been called on this. He was the only one, I did the same thing with no warning along with everyone else. 

RO, is a very capable and experienced shooter. After questioning the warning his reasoning was that he just went to an RO refresher re certify class and the instructor said it was an issue and to keep an eye out for this. We have always looked to the first shooting position before the start. Have no problem with it being a rule if it is.

gerritm

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2c114e75bcc459c9faf9ab608f4748a9.jpg

The rule book is their for the shooter and the range official. It’s a good idea if both read it.

I’ve been hearing about the same situation happening at other matches with the head being slightly turned. Is there a significant advantage? Probably not. Is the RO being an ass? Probably. Would we be better off shooting something else like IDPA? Why hell no!!! So we just continue to show up and our part with hopes that it gets better one day

16 minutes ago, mwray said:

2c114e75bcc459c9faf9ab608f4748a9.jpg

The rule book is their for the shooter and the range official. It’s a good idea if both read it.

I’ve been hearing about the same situation happening at other matches with the head being slightly turned. Is there a significant advantage? Probably not. Is the RO being an ass? Probably. Would we be better off shooting something else like IDPA? Why hell no!!! So we just continue to show up and our part with hopes that it gets better one day

The RO is being a ass for enforcing the rules? 

Nope, RO is not being anything,  read the rule. Rule is the rule.  Got it, I guess this was never enforced by any other RO in any match ever we have shot.  Why I asked the question. Kind of surprised us. Many slight infractions in the game that apparently are not enforced. 

Yes inconsistent application of the rules. 

Thanks, Gerrit

48 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Just for the record, I've seen this rule enforced quite a bit.  Doesn't take a degree in rocket science, y'know.

Indeed. Facing Down Range is strictly defined. Whereas standing inside shooting area is where you can game it.

Edited by Sarge

I seem to remember quite a few RO/CRO insisting on following the WSB and the definition of standing up range.  Nothing wrong with following the rule book.  Perhaps many of us have gotten a tad be lax in this department.

“Issuing a warning” for this doesn’t make sense to me. Either the shooter is in the start position, in which case you issue the “are you ready” command, or they aren’t, and you wait for them to get into the start position.

If they appear to not be getting into the start position you want them to, then correct them before issuing the “are you ready” command, just like you would if someone forgot that it was a wrists above shoulders start and was standing with hands at sides. 

12 hours ago, pjb45 said:

I seem to remember quite a few RO/CRO insisting on following the WSB and the definition of standing up range.  Nothing wrong with following the rule book.  Perhaps many of us have gotten a tad be lax in this department.

just like with the range commands.  I think a lot of Ro's are getting lax.

just like with the range commands.  I think a lot of Ro's are getting lax.

I agree 100%. It’s very easy to do when most all of the shooters that you run abide by all the rules without a hitch, but if all the RO’s are trying to fine you for any reason they can possibly find eventually they become hated by everyone. You have to somehow maintain a perfect balance

21 hours ago, gerritm said:

My son had a warning call from the RO at a local USPSA match on the SD calling for facing downrange for the start.  Shooting limited. Looked thru a bunch of threads couldn't find an answer.

First call he may have been looking and leaning towards the first target he was heading to. No argument there.Not sure if he was, but took the warning in stride. 

Second warning next stage he made sure his feet & shoulders were square to the back of the berm facing downrange and, his head was turned looking towards the first target/shooting position and was told his head had to be facing the back of the berm also. So we have shot literally at least a hundred matches and never been called on this. He was the only one, I did the same thing with no warning along with everyone else. 

RO, is a very capable and experienced shooter. After questioning the warning his reasoning was that he just went to an RO refresher re certify class and the instructor said it was an issue and to keep an eye out for this. We have always looked to the first shooting position before the start. Have no problem with it being a rule if it is.

gerritm

what rule is there for a warning?

Get the shooter in the proper start position and start him.

9 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Pretty much, if the WSB only says heels/toes on marks (location only) and nothing else (doesn't say your stance or shooting position), your body position is defaulted to facing downrange. 8.2.2

And yes, this is 50/50 enforced, even on level 2 matches that I've seen. 

I would think that “toes on maks” is “otherwise specified” and that sentence in 8.2.2 doesn’t apply, but I’m not 100% sure. I’m going to send an email to my RO class instructor later to see if he can clarify. 

I thought that the default only applied if the WSB stated the start location only (e.g., "within Box A", or "outside the shooting area").  The exception to that would be adding "facing uprange", as that is explicitly defined in the glossary.  Once you specify the position of toes, heels, or hands on marks, it becomes "otherwise specified", and the default is superseded by the WSB description.  At that point, it's only constrained by the amount of detail given in the WSB.

11 hours ago, DKorn said:

I would think that “toes on maks” is “otherwise specified” and that sentence in 8.2.2 doesn’t apply, but I’m not 100% sure. I’m going to send an email to my RO class instructor later to see if he can clarify. 

Toes/heels on marks are locations. Hands relax at sides, hands on marks, hands above shoulders etc are stance. If the latter isn't stated, it's supposed to be default position on 8.2.2 and Appendix E3. Unfortunately, it's loosely followed. That's why WSB now specifies stance. 

Per rule book: 

Start position ....................The location, shooting position and stance prescribed by a COF prior to issuance of the “Start signal”.

Edited by happygunner77

this is why i usually just write 'toes touching marks'. I don't GAF where you are facing, and I don't want one squad to have an RO that is more literal or knowledgeable or asslike than another squad.
This specifies location only. Some ROs will enforce the default position, others won't. Start positions like this are what started this thread.

"Toes on marks, facing anywhere, hands below belt" is better.