Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 Pre-B Restoration Project

Elcidaviator

And so it begins...

A few weeks back I purchased a poor condition CZ-75 Pre B as a gift for my father.  My dad doesn't know it, but I bought the gun for him and I have been asking his advice throughout the project to allow him to build his own gun.  I send him text messages asking things like; what grips would look good, or what finish should I go with?  His suggestions are become the plan for the build.  As part of the gift, I plan to document the progress here and show him this thread.  Hopefully he enjoys the progress and some of the trials and tribulations that went into his new blaster.  So without further delay here's what I started with... 

Stage 1.jpg

I got ahead of myself and before I remembered to take pictures I disassembled the pistol.  ohhh well here's how it looks without the internals.

As you can see the pistol has a descent amount of damage.  The lock up is pretty bad, and it will need a new barrel bushing.  There are some pretty deep nicks toward the barrel that will take a fair amount of filling to get out.  

The next step is stripping and draw filling.  I'm going to reshape the beaver tail, high cut the trigger guard and bevel the magwell.  Hopefully it comes out looking descent when all is said and done.

3 minutes ago, Elcidaviator said:

I saw that on another thread.  I am reshaping the beaver tail, but that’s a little extreme for my taste.  I don’t think it would look good with a classic blue and wood grips.

I was planning to cut it off, but it had such a nice curve to it I couldn't bring myself to do it.

3 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Yours looks like a beauty queen compared to how mine started out!

IMG_20160710_092035.thumb.jpg.1e77ca4ea557e93b25c88029f7fcac3a.jpg

I have an extra ambi safety and two extra barrels for the pre B, let me know if you want to try them.

Thank you!

I’m going to go through my parts bin tonight and figure out what I need.  I’ll PM you.

Never have seen one this old. Did not know Interarms was ever based in Houston either. I thought they were in VA. 

How is the rear sight? The front is something I would replace very quickly.

Guess it is age related, but good sights are a priority to me. Plus a comfortable trigger.

2 hours ago, Endall said:

Never have seen one this old. Did not know Interarms was ever based in Houston either. I thought they were in VA. 

How is the rear sight? The front is something I would replace very quickly.

Guess it is age related, but good sights are a priority to me. Plus a comfortable trigger.

Front and rear sights have already been tossed.  I’m ordering some parts from Cajun today, I think the only thing I’m really wanting to keep is the hammer.  I like the classic looks.

I've been there and wondered what I'd bought. It was rusted and pitted, which you couldn't tell just by looking at it.

I didn't do the work myself but sent it to a fantastic guy who restored them when he had the time and inclination. He took on mine as a project and I'll keep this gun forever. There's a thread about it in the CZFirearms forum, if you're interested. (And don't knock bluing and wood, it is a winning combination... [emoji6])4eec96528ba65000b527347195aad642.jpgdb5998d3e7b7de241df2ee261665dc9c.jpg8c3d7c6a87bb0892ce66885c39b3ce56.jpg

46a1baadbc9789662598f6ce6fdedb9d.jpg

4 hours ago, Raven312 said:

I've been there and wondered what I'd bought. It was rusted and pitted, which you couldn't tell just by looking at it.

I didn't do the work myself but sent it to a fantastic guy who restored them when he had the time and inclination. He took on mine as a project and I'll keep this gun forever. There's a thread about it in the CZFirearms forum, if you're interested. (And don't knock bluing and wood, it is a winning combination... emoji6.png)4eec96528ba65000b527347195aad642.jpgdb5998d3e7b7de241df2ee261665dc9c.jpg8c3d7c6a87bb0892ce66885c39b3ce56.jpg

46a1baadbc9789662598f6ce6fdedb9d.jpg

That’s gorgeous.  I want a compact in a bad way.  I personally love the blues and wood grips.  

I’m familiar with the thread inn CZFirearms, it was some of the inspiration for this build.

I originally planned on rust bluing the firearm, but a local Gun Smith has graciously taking me under his wing and offered some advice.  Along with the advice he has offered to hot blue the gun, so I plan on going that route now, just for the time savings.

That’s gorgeous.  I want a compact in a bad way.  I personally love the blues and wood grips.  

I’m familiar with the thread inn CZFirearms, it was some of the inspiration for this build.

I originally planned on rust bluing the firearm, but a local Gun Smith has graciously taking me under his wing and offered some advice.  Along with the advice he has offered to hot blue the gun, so I plan on going that route now, just for the time savings.
If I had someone mentor me through the process I'd do it in a heartbeat. Something as personal as a gift for your father will mean that much more coming from your hands.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Raven312 said:

If I had someone mentor me through the process I'd do it in a heartbeat. Something as personal as a gift for your father will mean that much more coming from your hands.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

He is extremely generous.  I called him to crown a barrel and he told me to bring  the entire project by.  Before I knew it he was giving me tips on how to complete the project.  I’m definitely blessed.

1 hour ago, SouperMan said:

Very cool project! Curious, how do you rework the beaver tail to make it longer? Does it require brazing on and blending another piece of metal or ?

The gentleman with the longer beaver tail welded a piece of steel.  

I simply have just reshaped it.  I need to post some pictures and hopefully I can get around to it tonight.  But between work, this project and my two little boys, I haven't had a ton of time.

I've been really bad about keeping everyone updated on the progress of the pistol.  So here's some phots to catch y'all up.

I stripped the pistol using epoxy stripper.  It sat for about 24hrs in that and I had to do some scrubbing here and there to get all the coating removed.   

After that I put it in Evap-O-Rust for another 12ish hours to remove the undercoat.  This turned out to be a mistake.  My gun smith laughed at me and then pointed out where the Evap-O-Rust bath had eaten some of the metal.  He explained to me that Evap-O-Rust eats away at the iron in the gun making it a little more brittle.  It also made me have to sand a lot more in the parts where it left marks.  Hopefully in the pics you can see the lines that the solution left.  Just a little bit of advice for the next guy, don't use this stuff.  It was recommended on a couple other forums, but use it with caution.