Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 mags

reballz

On 1/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, reballz said:

Ordered gen 2 tubes and tti guts/pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?, purely out of curiosity.  

If its a cost issue, you’re within dollars on any choice.

Typically people think the mags are expensive but regardless of the mag the spring is the weakest link.  If a person loads a mag to max capacity, regardless of the tube manufacturer, the spring I’d DONE in a matter of weeks or maybe months.  If you never load to max and keep the spring a round or so below max, it may last years.  

If the tube works and feeds, the first sign of failure will be the spring.  If a new spring doesn’t fix it, it’ll be the follower or the tube generally.

bottom line, don’t be afraid to chuck crap after the first failure, unless it consistently fails on the first or last round, then it’s typically a lip issue which can potentially be fixed.

Why?, purely out of curiosity.  

If its a cost issue, you’re within dollars on any choice.

Typically people think the mags are expensive but regardless of the mag the spring is the weakest link.  If a person loads a mag to max capacity, regardless of the tube manufacturer, the spring I’d DONE in a matter of weeks or maybe months.  If you never load to max and keep the spring a round or so below max, it may last years.  

If the tube works and feeds, the first sign of failure will be the spring.  If a new spring doesn’t fix it, it’ll be the follower or the tube generally.

bottom line, don’t be afraid to chuck crap after the first failure, unless it consistently fails on the first or last round, then it’s typically a lip issue which can potentially be fixed.

With the discount I got with tti, it came to $106 per mag shipped. Mbx would have been close to $140 per mag.

What the point of 20 round mags if not gonna load them to max.  Springs are cheap.  I need as many bullets as I can hold.  Also I bought my mags used with gram springs in them.  I load them with 20 every match and I shoot 2-3 times a week. Never change them.  Got them in September.

What the point of 20 round mags if not gonna load them to max.  Springs are cheap.  I need as many bullets as I can hold.  Also I bought my mags used with gram springs in them.  I load them with 20 every match and I shoot 2-3 times a week. Never change them.  Got them in September.

STI gen2 bodies, TTI springs, followers and base pads.

All 21 reloadable and 100% reliable.

MBX wasn't reliable in my pistols.

5 minutes ago, Scott Steele said:

STI gen2 bodies, TTI springs, followers and base pads.
All 21 reloadable and 100% reliable.

What is the 3mm, 4mm, 7mm mean for them?

If you load them to 21, the springs will fail faster than 20 rounds. You are already doing what I was suggesting by only loading 20 if you can indeed get 21 into them.

Sometimes it makes a lot of sense to load to 21 for specific stage but general, cramming that last round in brings a lot of risk for various potential issues/failures to occur, such as increased slide pressure/friction that could lead to failures to feed.

If you “need” that last bullet you probably would have been much better off throwing another reload into your plan.

Just saying loading to absolute max will increase the probability of failure to many different things, as well as quickly smoke your springs. Sure, do it when it’s needed but no reason to do it as a matter of standard practice just because you can. Same reason you don’t only shift gears when your car is at redline, sure you can but it’s not a great practice for every trip to the store

I don't have a spring issue. I know what you speak of but TTI springs haven't given me that problem.
When I was testing magazines I did find that problem with a certain brand.
Mine run 21 all the time 100%.
You can load 20 or 21 it's what you plan for. Nobody is wrong or right.
Run what works for you and is proven reliable.

• 1 month later...

I like the mbx magazines.... they have been quite reliable.... just received some TTI Sv tubes with tti springs, followers and pads , for added capacity.....we shall see how they work....

i have had mbx mags...no real complaints.

i have the gen 2 new sti mags and they run but my upula mag loader plastic thingy hates them

svi mags are perfect in every way shape and form and i love them plain and simple lol