Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Focus Question

mark234

hello,

would be great if you can give me a few advices for my "problem".

i want to speed up my shooting.

my trigger control/reset, grip and nearly everything else is good, but i think my "eyes" are slowing me down.

2 problems:

1) im always switching between 1 and 2 eyes open. as a leo im mostly train both eyes open (also in dryfire), but when the timer beeps (in ipsc practice) im closing 1 eye for a better time....

2) im always focusing on a clear front sight. the first shot after the draw is around 1 second, but when i switch from target to target, i first want to see the "new" target clear, and when the pistol is on the new target i focus on a clear front sight before the shot breaks. this costs a  lot of time....

thx very much in advance!

57 minutes ago, mark234 said:

I  focus on front sight but when I transition, I focus on the "new" target, and then I switch focus to front sight 

I would think a LOT of dry firing would be a real big help for this problem.    :) 

Great that you identified the problem, BTW  -  most people (ME?) would never

be able to diagnose what needs to be remedied    :bow:

I  focus on front sight but when I transition, I focus on the "new" target, and then I switch focus to front sight 

-----> so this is the "right" way of focusing? or should i focus on the front sight the whole time?

....and maybe some of you know a GREAT exercise to eliminate this problem?!

thx btw, im always analyzing myself for maximum improvement ;-)

Edited by mark234

hello,

would be great if you can give me a few advices for my "problem".

i want to speed up my shooting.
my trigger control/reset, grip and nearly everything else is good, but i think my "eyes" are slowing me down.
2 problems:

1) im always switching between 1 and 2 eyes open. as a leo im mostly train both eyes open (also in dryfire), but when the timer beeps (in ipsc practice) im closing 1 eye for a better time....

2) im always focusing on a clear front sight. the first shot after the draw is around 1 second, but when i switch from target to target, i first want to see the "new" target clear, and when the pistol is on the new target i focus on a clear front sight before the shot breaks. this costs a  lot of time....

thx very much in advance!
Try focus drills, hold pen, tip up at arms length infront of target about 10yards away and pratice switching focus from pen tip to target. Your eyes are muscles the more you use them the stronger and quicker they will become.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

From what I understand, Jerry Miculek doesn't focus on his targets, just sort of gets a soft focus on them. You should be able to discern where your sights need to align to get the proper hits without getting a solid focus on the target. Try to keep your eyes focused the same distance away as your front sight, then move your sight to that spot. He mentioned "soft focus" a couple times during interviews but I could never figure out what he meant. Then he elaborated a bit more in one of his videos with Layne Simpson, and I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Let the targets be fuzzy the whole time if you can help it. This technique has definitely sped up my draw times, but it's so hard to do that I haven't been able to do it much in live fire practice.