Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST in 45. Extreme spread

Climbhard

Why can’t I get the extremes spread on my reloads down? I’m dropping 4.5 grains on my Dylan 550. Hornaday FMJ and my extreme spread is anywhere from 50 to 60+ FPS.  I  load WST in 40 for my limited gun and my extreme spread is 15 FPS.   I tried loading 4.3 g of Clays with 200 gr LSWC and my extreme spread is still over 50.  Both loads are 1.250 and running hot. 175-180 for the FMJ and 175-177 for the LSWC. What gives with the wide velocity spread?

Edited by Climbhard

something aint right, your load data doesnt jive with lyman   4.5 shouldnt be giving you that velocity. should only be in the 700's  Do you have some calibration weights to check your powder scale ? Lyman shows a max charge is 4.9 grains at 840 fps with a 200gr cast swc,   If to are in 175 pf territoory you are over charging, and that is where you high spread is coming from.
I suggest stop and regroup. Check the powder and check your scale.

Edited by Joe4d

It is much easier to get lower SDs in 40 than 45.  The first thing I would check is your powder drops.  My Dillon powder bar would not give consistent small drops until I disassembled and polished everything.  Second, do you see grains of powder on your shell plate?  If so, slow down your rotation so powder doesn't jump out when it snaps into index.

My WST load for bullseye was WSP, 4.5 WST, 200 LSWC for 804fps with an SD of 9.97.  That was out of a 1911.

You might try varying your powder charge and see what happens (after you fix your problem(s)).  For example, when I was working up bullseye loads using Alliant e3, I started around 775fps.  That is usually the best for accuracy in that pistol.  Then I ran a ladder, just to see what would happen.  The SD for the 802fps load with 3.8ge e3 was 11.87.  For the 780fps with 3.6gr e3it was 13.06.  For the 3.4gr charge with a WLP the SD was 5.35 amd 731fps.  With a CCI300 it was 4.97 and 726fps.  Dropping the charge to 3.2gr upped the SD to 10.21 and 699fps.  I have no clue why, but that pistol likes the 3.4gr load with a Dardas LSWC 200gr at 1.240" OAL.  So that's what I shoot.

You might also try a different powder.  I can get single digit SDs with e3, Solo 1000 and American Select.  I can only get close with others, and most are around 20.

• 1 year later...