Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concern about new STI DVC

Angus46

Just got a new STI DVC shot about 300 rounds total and worried about the contact that is happening between the barrel and the slide. It looks as though the barrel it’s twisting a bit when it’s unlocked and contacting the slide on both sides of the hood extension of the barrel.  I’ve included a picture of where it’s deforming the slide a bit.  I contacted STI and they said don’t worry about it, and this is normal with the tight tolerances they have with their fitting.  This just doesn’t seem right to me so thought I’d check here with many more guys who have a lot more experience than I do.  The gun functions well, no misfeeds, failure to go into battery etc at all.  

5B09F6EF-AF35-47B5-9549-65FB9CDCDF3F.jpeg

7A546E4C-117D-4B7C-9225-37E526CE7670.jpeg

Edited by Angus46
Added photo

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I sent them the pictures and that is what they told me, normal wear.  

So I have resent another email to STI’s warranty department and will ask again.  I had planned on my first match Sunday with the gun but probably will just go back to my M and P or Springfield.  

Hopefully they will will uphold their lifetime warranty policy.  Especially since it’s basically a new gun.  Little frustrated spending near 3000.00 for a gun and it’s not right.

13 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

You need to speak to Ryan in warranty.

That is who I was working with.  Said it was signs of a well fitted barrel and normal wear.  Here is the email I received from STI after I sent them the pictures. (Paragraph below)  The slide and frame are well fit as is the barell in battery and the accuracy is great.  Just worry when metal is hitting metal.

I have reviewed your pictures and have some good news! Those wear marks are perfectly normal for an STI pistol. We fit our dimensions extremely tightly to provide superior accuracy and recoil transfer when compared to other 1911 style pistols; rubbing on your barrel hood, bore, and chamber are all good signs of a tightly fit barrel. 

2 hours ago, yigal said:

or maybe he did this slowly, but on monday .;)

True.

2 hours ago, Angus46 said:

That is who I was working with.  Said it was signs of a well fitted barrel and normal wear.  Here is the email I received from STI after I sent them the pictures. (Paragraph below)  The slide and frame are well fit as is the barell in battery and the accuracy is great.  Just worry when metal is hitting metal.

I have reviewed your pictures and have some good news! Those wear marks are perfectly normal for an STI pistol. We fit our dimensions extremely tightly to provide superior accuracy and recoil transfer when compared to other 1911 style pistols; rubbing on your barrel hood, bore, and chamber are all good signs of a tightly fit barrel. 

It needs to go back.  Period.

3 hours ago, Angus46 said:

Either this guy is an idiot, or he thinks you're one.  I've been in the gun business for a long time and have heard a lot of really dumb comments over the years.  That one is right up there with the best of them.

Well, that is STI for you.

Their initial product is mediocre at best.

They do a great job of warranty for their guns. 

My Trojan went back four times.  The last being replacing the barrel that was not fitted correctly.

Personally, I have not have bad experiences with them, but when you can obviously see broken/sheered metal from surfaces, the debate ends and they need to resolve the issues.  In the end, I bet they will.  Feel free to tell Ryan you've told the Enoverse about your issue and we all agree that they need to take a closer look at your problem.  

ill See what they say.  I found my email from the warranty dept that I sent a few weeks ago about the same issue and replied to it as well as submitted another concern to them again. I got a reply back they are out of the office and won’t be back until next week.  So as soon as I hear from them again I’ll certinaly post an update.  

Meanwhile looks like like I’ll be shooting my other guns for a while in upcoming competitions.  

This is a typical answer to cz  and I did not expect  that  sti
Adopt the method.  :o

just now checked sti dvc  that club member received ~3 month ago. gun after 3k 

gun don't have any type of signs like on this post .

not on the  barrel and not on the  slide. very tight fit: slide to frame and barrel to slide . and works  perfect.

and barrel fitted correctly to frame.

exactly that what i expect from us custom  made gun.;)

Edited by yigal

Yigal,

thank you you for the update from someone with the same gun. That is really helpful.

Iv’e spent some time this morning trying to figure out what the issue is.  I compared it to my other 1911’s (both are Springfield’s) They have .013 clearance between the hood and slide, the STI has .012.  So not much difference there.  Then I assembled them without the recoil springs, and seeing how much the barrel would move right when it’s out of battery.  No question the STI has way more play left to right when and if you apply a torque to the barrel it will rotate some.  In both instances, it moves enough  that it does contact the slide.  Neither of the other 1911’s would do that.  

So the only thing I could think is the thickness of the barell where the link/feed ramp is too narrow, or the slide was cut too wide.  As far as I can tell this would be the only thing that would control the barrel alignment when it’s not in battery.  The fitting of the link and slide lock seems to be ok.

19 minutes ago, Angus46 said:

Yigal,

thank you you for the update from someone with the same gun. That is really helpful.

Iv’e spent some time this morning trying to figure out what the issue is.  I compared it to my other 1911’s (both are Springfield’s) They have .013 clearance between the hood and slide, the STI has .012.  So not much difference there.  Then I assembled them without the recoil springs, and seeing how much the barrel would move right when it’s out of battery.  No question the STI has way more play left to right when and if you apply a torque to the barrel it will rotate some.  In both instances, it moves enough  that it does contact the slide.  Neither of the other 1911’s would do that.  

So the only thing I could think is the thickness of the barell where the link/feed ramp is too narrow, or the slide was cut too wide.  As far as I can tell this would be the only thing that would control the barrel alignment when it’s not in battery.  The fitting of the link and slide lock seems to be ok.

You've come to the right conclusion;)