Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting started with the 1050 and Limcat 9mm

TheStagePlan

So have a few questions I just got my 1050 setup looking to make 9mm limited minor loads 

What I am using ?

Powder VV n320

bullets 124 hornady xtp 

primers cci 500 

cases new unfired hornady brass 

The gun is a 5.5 inch wild cat perfect sight 

What would be a good starting point with a 5.5 inch gun ?

I know VV recommends 1.142 which is what  I am set up for with my seating die does 4.0 grains sound reasonable with a 5.5 inch gun ? I see a lot of folks recommending 4.0-4.2 but those are shorter barreled guns.  I plan on chronoing these but just looking for a general starting range. 

Another question I had was on the seating die what side of the double-sided seating stem do you find more consistent when seating the xtp hollow points? The round nose or the semi-wadcutter? 

C2D56856-B76C-4D16-B056-BF4A2BD23169.jpeg

Edited by TheStagePlan

I like to load 9mm (whether minor or major) as long as possible for a couple of reasons.  

1. It lowers the initial pressure spike.  Not a huge concern in minor.  More important in loading major, though.  

2. In mags without spacers, longer rounds will most likely feed more reliably than shorter rounds.

Load a few dummies out to at least 1.17"  Pull the barrel and check to see if they plunk completely into the chamber without any resistance.  I've loaded 147 RN bullets out to 1.245" without issue.  

In terms of charge, every bbl is different.  The only way to reliably determine what PF you're running is to use a chrono.  You're probably going to be close with the 4.0 grains, though.  I'd use the round nose stem.  

I know you didn't ask but you might consider using less expensive components.  Once fired brass and using Hornady HAP (or other popular JHP's) is going to save you a lot of coin.  They'll be more than accurate enough for what we do as well.  

Thanks for the input. I just loaded some at 4.1 grains

1.142 oal

.3765 crimp

dillon case gauge checked out and I pulled the barrel and did the plunk test. 

I found the the Semi Wadcutter seating stem to be more consistent with the xtp through two 50 round batches.  

As for the components I wanted to start with as few variables as I could  this will be my match ammo and in the future I will use fired  brass. I have a pile of it that ran through the frankford tumbler.