Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Technique Tips

I got a little stir-crazy this weekend after having yet another match cancelled because of bad weather (I think it's been two months since I've shot one...) so I made a quick video detailing some things I've learned about PCC this offseason that might help people looking to improve within the division.

I started shooting competitively in college with my collegiate clay team, and I've been drawing on some of that experience to refine my PCC technique. I mostly shot the American games but my short experience with International Skeet, which starts with a low gun, gave me some things to try with the PCC.

Of course, it's not a comprehensive video on the division, so don't hesitate to ask if you've got questions.

Thanks, Danny.  I've only shot AASA and SC with my PCC so far.  I'm contemplating taking it out to RCSC this month for USPSA.

I have also found that hitting the same support hand position after the reload is something I need to work on.  Did you ever try a finger/hand stop for that purpose, or did you just go straight to the grip tape option?

I went straight to the grip tape for this rifle, but only because I've tried VFGs and AFGs on my other ARs and found that I didn't care for them. The grip tape option coupled with the start of the rail there just happens to work really well for me on this rifle. Also, this handguard doesn't have any provisions for mounting accessories besides the short rail sections, so it just wouldn't work with my hand positioning currently.

But it really is just a matter of preference. If you like handstops or other grips, I can't imagine how they could interfere with getting that support hand back in position. If anything, I think they might be more repeatable because there's really only one way to grab them. With practice I bet it would work really well.

I have a UTG keymod rail, so I have the luxury of mounting anywhere.  I've been going back and forth between as small as possible (e.g., Arisaka finger stop) and something with a bit more real estate for the support hand (e.g., BCM KAG), but I think I'm going to go with the Arisaka.  It looks less likely to get snagged up on props.

Sure, no problem.

Just ordered from Arisaka and got their 10% discount for SHOT Show, but it won't ship until 2/1.  That probably won't make it in time for February's SC match, but I should have it on by the Feb USPSA match.

Edited by JAFO

I don't like beating up my mags on the tile floor. I'm just honest with myself when I do reloads like this and ensure that I'm actually depressing the mag release completely. I often practice with mags loaded with dummy rounds because obviously the weight of the mags changes, and also the mag release gets harder to depress. My times are still pretty much identical. 

23 minutes ago, Xanatos903 said:

I don't like beating up my mags on the tile floor. I'm just honest with myself when I do reloads like this and ensure that I'm actually depressing the mag release completely. I often practice with mags loaded with dummy rounds because obviously the weight of the mags changes, and also the mag release gets harder to depress. My times are still pretty much identical. 

Me too.  I use a 33 round mag for reloads.  I found that a mag loaded with dummy rounds simulates live fire.  I changed after I was at a action steel match with a mandatory reload.  I fumbled the reload because of the weight of the magazine.  It took me about 2 days to get my reloads the same as they were with empty mags.  Nows it second nature.

15 hours ago, Xanatos903 said:

Do your mag reloads over the corner of a bed or table.  The mags drop onto the bed or table  which also save you from bending over 100 times down to the floor.

21 hours ago, Xanatos903 said:

I went straight to the grip tape for this rifle, but only because I've tried VFGs and AFGs on my other ARs and found that I didn't care for them. The grip tape option coupled with the start of the rail there just happens to work really well for me on this rifle. Also, this handguard doesn't have any provisions for mounting accessories besides the short rail sections, so it just wouldn't work with my hand positioning currently.

But it really is just a matter of preference. If youwq like handstops or other grips, I can't imagine how they could interfere with getting that support hand back in position. If anything, I think they might be more repeatable because there's really only one way to grab them. With practice I bet it would work really well.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really hoping we could all get together on one squad, it just didn't work out that way :/ and I'm sorry I didn't stop and chat with y'all, I was kind of frantic trying to get all my gear ready to go lol. 

I'll try to get some quickly trimmed video up on YouTube later this evening if you want to check it out. I definitely had some bobbles, and a couple malfunctions, but it seemed like all the dryfire in place of matches for the last couple of months worked out for me.

Did you have anyone videoing you for the match? 

Edited by Xanatos903

No, I completely forgot.  I even had my camera in my bag.  I need to remember next month so I can compare.

I had a few awkward moments dealing with left-hand leans.  With no 45-degree dot on my gun, I found it easier to switch shoulders than to try to lean way out.  That cost me time on Stage 3 because I didn't think of it ahead of time and ended up doing it flat-footed.  On Stage 1 I planned for it, so I switched while moving to the first left-hand position, then switched back as I left.

Mostly I think I'm just too slow getting the dot to settle for the shot when I move into a position or transition to the next target.

21 minutes ago, JAFO said:

No, I completely forgot.  I even had my camera in my bag.  I need to remember next month so I can compare.

I had a few awkward moments dealing with left-hand leans.  With no 45-degree dot on my gun, I found it easier to switch shoulders than to try to lean way out.  That cost me time on Stage 3 because I didn't think of it ahead of time and ended up doing it flat-footed.  On Stage 1 I planned for it, so I switched while moving to the first left-hand position, then switched back as I left.

Mostly I think I'm just too slow getting the dot to settle for the shot when I move into a position or transition to the next target.

Just got it uploaded to Youtube; 

I had trouble on the same stages as you, just on the opposite sides of them lol. I chose to shoot the stages without switching shoulders, but I'm really wishing that I had an offset red dot for the hard right leans on stage 3. I felt so slow trying to take those partials while leaning around the barricade. I know Grady's probably going to mount an offset red dot, are you too? I've held out on getting one so far because it even seems a little too "gamer-y" for me, but I might as well embrace it as long as I'm shooting PCC.

@balmo I'm happy that it helped! I was hoping to really put to to use in Sunday's match, but there were only two stages where I started stock on belt, facing a target that I didn't have to move to. Dang stage designers making things hard for us...

Edited by Xanatos903
3 minutes ago, Xanatos903 said:

I know Grady's probably going to mount an offset red dot, are you too? I've held out on getting one so far because it even seems a little too "gamer-y" for me, but I might as well embrace it as long as I'm shooting PCC.

I was originally thinking of a green laser, but I've read a LOT of people find the offset dot way more useful.  I don't mind switching shoulders, but I know it's going to be slower.  I have a cheap dot at home that I wouldn't trust to hold zero, but I might get a mount and try it in dryfire before I spend $150-200 on another dot.

I'd agree that it'd be more useful, especially considering the far shots we were taking around barricades last match. I don't even know if I could quickly see a laser at 10+ yards, but I've never used one that's actually decent. 

Anyway, let me know if you like it. I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on it if you give it a shot.

I just thought of a potential hurdle for me though- I've got the C-more railway on my PCC and it takes up all of the rail space on the receiver. Can you think if a disadvantage to mounting the offset dot out on my handguard? I'm not coming up with anything beyond maybe banging it on barricades, but I'm sure there's something I've missed. 

Since they're parallax-free, I don't see any problem with mounting it to the handguard.  The window would just look smaller.  If I try one and don't remove the BUIS I have on there, it would end up out on the handguard, too.  Then again, if I have an offset dot mounted, it would become the backup sight and I'd take the BUIS off.

Ooh, good point about the window being smaller. I've got a little Primary Arms microdot sitting around that I'll try. Maybe I'll buy a cheap mount for that and see if it'll work. Maybe it'll still work nicely and just visually superimpose the dot on whatever I'm looking at, even though the apparent size of the lens is still pretty small.