Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Welding on a full length dust cover

rerun

Does anyone know of a gunsmith who can or has installed a full length dust cover on a short dust cover model ?

I am serious in the pursuit of having this done to a Caspian widebody!!!!

6 hours ago, rerun said:

Does anyone know of a gunsmith who can or has installed a full length dust cover on a short dust cover model ?

I am serious in the pursuit of having this done to a Caspian widebody!!!!

Check with Accurate Plating and Weaponry.  They have probably welded up more Caspian widebodies than anyone.

About 10+ years ago I looked in to making dust cover blanks to weld on 1911's. The problem was cost, getting the correct sized cutters to match the inside and outside radius(every company does a slight change to the external profile so one part doesn't fit all the variants), the time to just machine the part out,  and then the time to install it properly. I had to charge over $450.00 to do it, back then nobody sold a frame(alone) that was full length so a few went for it. Fast forward to today there are several companies that sell full length receivers for a much cheaper price . My advise is to just buy another receiver that is full railed, you will be money ahead in the long run.

Rich

Caspian does have a Recon frame that you could have a section welded on for full length, you might even be able to get that section from Caspian from a scrapped Recon frame.

Edited by RIIID

Rich,

I have talked to Gary in the past to see if Caspian would do it and got a quick NO!....

but my dream gun is a Caspian widebody with a full length dust cover / Tactical rail

I would want to be able to mount a tac light to it.

Think about how cool a Caspian double stack would be with a full length dust cover , Tri-topped, Butler cut, RMR ready with co-witness night sights in 9x23..

That is my dream gun.........I find myself smiling just thinking about it!

OHH!!!!  Titanium.........Wow I have to stop now I am way to damn giggley to be an old man and at work.........lol

Monkey Plague,

Why ?

1. aesthetics

2. no one has one

3. nothing fits my hands anywhere to close to a Caspian widebody

4. full rail gives option for lights

5. Caspian doesn't make a full rail

6. want

Mike,

Jump on this full dust cover train with me!

For all the people out there who have never shot a Caspian wide body gun or even held one, who don't know how sweet that frame is, we should band together and have at least 2 of these done !!!!.......lol

think about it in Titanium........DAMN!

Nice guns I know.......But not a Caspian!

Have you ever shot one, incredible recoil absorption, seriously different.

And they fit my short fat sausage fingers and hands.

It's a preference thing I guess.

And CZ's are nice.

Mike,

Jump on this full dust cover train with me!

For all the people out there who have never shot a Caspian wide body gun or even held one, who don't know how sweet that frame is, we should band together and have at least 2 of these done !!!!.......lol

think about it in Titanium........DAMN!

If I were going to do it it would be a DIY project for me, because I like doing odd things.

Like my current project

I silver soldered plates to the side of the existing dust cover to cover stripped over sized old mount holes, then made a sight bracket and threw a cheep dot on it.

61c4f05756f3a30fdc64dd98b9f96cbf.jpgd6929a46b9640f01fc5fd24d96b05521.jpg

Oddly the sight is better than you would think

And never buy a cheep gun on line and say how bad could it be, fate takes that as a challenge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk