Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting with a CZ75B and then what...

lfine

A friend of mine (no, it really isn't me) just picked up a CZ75B at a good price (I thought) $425.  He was wondering what steps - besides practice  and going to meets, etc. - he should logically take to turn this into something more USPSA production and IPSC ready (it's stock) and in what priority. This is one I can't answer s well as you all.  Thanks in advance - I"ll make sure he reads this.

BTW, he has the opportunity to get an SP-01 for $100 more if he wants to do so right away.  

(I told him to save up and get a Shadow - he likes mine - but he can't spend that much all at once, right now.)

I contacted him - looks like the SP-01 deal is gone. All he seems to find up here in Ohio is sp-01 tacticals starting at $575-600- which I advised against because of decocker, agreed?

25 minutes ago, lfine said:

I contacted him - looks like the SP-01 deal is gone. All he seems to find up here in Ohio is sp-01 tacticals starting at $575-600- which I advised against because of decocker, agreed?

Yes 

Unless I'm missing something, he has a perfectly acceptable production-ready gun in the CZ75B.

He should start shooting matches.

No need for upgrades or another gun as a beginner.  The gun won't be a weak link for a long time, if ever.

A couple of quick and easy things: First, sights. Pick your favorite, but I like the EZ set from CGW. Second, new recoil and or main springs. If he feels the need later, trigger parts from CZC or CGW.

I shoot a SP01 Shadow and a Czechmate. However, I scored a screaming deal on a 75B and built it for my daughter. The gun got sights, grips, springs and trigger parts. It's not as nice as the shadow, but it's close. My daughter likes the lighter weight, and she can't tell any difference in the triggers the shadow.

Tell your friend to enjoy his pistol , shoot some matches, and remember practice practice practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, wtturn said:

Unless I'm missing something, he has a perfectly acceptable production-ready gun in the CZ75B.

No need for upgrades or another gun as a beginner.  The gun won't be a weak link for a long time, if ever.

+1. This was my reaction when I first read the thread. The first thing he needs to buy is more mags and a way to get four of them on his belt. Then add ammo and enjoy!

Edited by Mcfoto

10 hours ago, wtturn said:

This and if he continues to want to use CZ, he can later obtain the Shadow X and keep the 75B as a backup. The mags work in both guns. ;)

5 hours ago, lfine said:

I was going to tel him to try for a Shadow.  Worth the difference to keep going up to a Shadow 2?

For just starting I don't see a reason to jump to shadow 2. Make sure he likes going to the competitions before spending double the money. I said jump to the SP-01 as at a $100 more I thought it was a pretty good deal as I can find them around me at that price.

I was going to tel him to try for a Shadow.  Worth the difference to keep going up to a Shadow 2?

I'm guessing your buddy is jumping in because you helped him drink the koolaid, and because he tried your cz getting a cz must be the bomb. Not a criticism as I am a die hard USPSA fan and self admitted CZ fag as well.

However, it took me a while to become a CZ fan boy. First there was single stack, and then there was Glocks. It took me two years to figure out that I can't hit squat with a Glock. At that point I was upper B class and had some experience shooting matches. I tried a bunch of different pistols at that point with an eye towards Production and found the platform that I like.

I would suggest that your buddy do the same. Start out with what he has and learn the game. Ask lots of questions and borrow some guns. He may find out that he wants to shoot open instead of production, or that S&W' s really work better for him. I guess my point is that he first needs to know what he needs to know before he starts buying equipment to solve a problem.

Use what he has right now, learn to shoot, learn to play the game, and practice a bunch. Then if he feels the need to upgrade equipment it will do him some good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

Use what he has right now, learn to shoot, learn to play the game, and practice a bunch. Then if he feels the need to upgrade equipment it will do him some good.

Amen, amen, amen.  Perfectly serviceable gun.  Could do a few things with springs and polish internals if he wants, but play the game a bunch and practice a bunch so he'll have a better feel for what he may want down the line, and will be able to tell the difference from one platform to another.