Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon powder die belling issues

Ok, the Dillon case belling on the powder die sucks. It does not taper the 9mm case enough. If I make it deeper, you just get a larger flare. It creates a very fast radius bell instead of a longer taper like the Lee. Bullets roll on top of the case.

My Lee and Hornady both create a longer taper and actually hold the Bullet better.

Any options for the Dillon?

What press are you running?  TMZ gave me some excellent advice applicable to the 1050:  take .050-.060" off the backup rod on the Dillon expander/backup die: this made a great improvement, but don't overdo the bell at the powder station.  You just need enough to get the bullet started and hold it in place during shell plate rotation.  The Mr. BF PTX is a nice component, but I just didn't like the additional vibration caused by it's sticking in the case even with Dillon case lube.

I'm using the Mr. Bullet Feeder die in 9mm. It works wonders for coated bullets, especially with the bullet feeder. I think I've got an extra 9mm MBF funnel around if you're interested.

I’m interested if the OP is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A simple change in technique will also solve your problem.

When you set the bullet on top of the case keep holding on to it until the nose just enters the seating die. It's still fast, once you get used to it, and you won't need to use as much bell as you normally do, which is a bonus.

On 18 January 2018 at 8:49 AM, RickT said:

What press are you running?  TMZ gave me some excellent advice applicable to the 1050:  take .050-.060" off the backup rod on the Dillon expander/backup die: this made a great improvement, but don't overdo the bell at the powder station.  You just need enough to get the bullet started and hold it in place during shell plate rotation.  The Mr. BF PTX is a nice component, but I just didn't like the additional vibration caused by it's sticking in the case even with Dillon case lube.

Take it off where ? ..... Photo please.

3 hours ago, Service Desk said:

Take it off where ? ..... Photo please.

The Dillon 1050 swage station die combines an expander and swage back-up function.  The die is  intended for both 9mm and 38 Super.  The dimensions of the die are correct for 38 Super, but the backup extension is too long to properly expand a 9mm case when otherwise setup correctly.  Taking of somewhere between .050 and .060" when running 9mm properly expands the case prior to the powder tie adding just a tiny bit of bell.  All I can say is "worked for me".  The backup extension is obviously the lower part of the die mechanism; no need to muck with the expander portion of the die.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't hurt a thing to polish the expander and bell of the powder funnel. I use my Dremel, with a small felt wheel and some Blue Magic metal polish. Make it shine like a diamond in a goat's fanny.

You can't over polish it either.