Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Undecided on G30 or G29..?

IGOTGLOCKED

I have a 43 & a 19 and have been wanting a .45 acp. Not sure where the interest came from however now have an interest in a 10 mm... Can't get both and am hoping for experienced input and opinions as to which and why either should be considered. Oh, and it also will be edc and I will reload the practice ammo for which ever one is chosen.

Thanks in advance!

IGG

Both are amazingly accurate little powerhouses. If you don't reload, the 45 ACP Glock 30 would probably be easier to find ammo at your local store(s) of choice. If you do reload a quick check of Starline's website shows the cost of brass being a wash between the two. If you're planning on using your selection as a carry piece for backpacking, the Glock 29 might be a more suitable choice. Both can be used for multiple classes in GSSF competitions (should you be so inclined) and the 30 would be a capable contender in IDPA as well in the CDP division (as Mas Ayoob has proven). So, what is/are the intended purpose(s) of this gun?

How about a 30 with 10mm conversion barrel? 

I have a G20 and love shooting 10mm. But if I'm honest, I probably wouldn't shoot it all that much if I didn't reload.

Edit: I see you plan to carry it. Conversion barrel probably not great for that, but you could at least shoot multiple calibers for fun but carry the .45 stock barrel

Edited by TrackCage

1 hour ago, Distant Thunder said:

Both are amazingly accurate little powerhouses. If you don't reload, the 45 ACP Glock 30 would probably be easier to find ammo at your local store(s) of choice. If you do reload a quick check of Starline's website shows the cost of brass being a wash between the two. If you're planning on using your selection as a carry piece for backpacking, the Glock 29 might be a more suitable choice. Both can be used for multiple classes in GSSF competitions (should you be so inclined) and the 30 would be a capable contender in IDPA as well in the CDP division (as Mas Ayoob has proven). So, what is/are the intended purpose(s) of this gun?

I have a 650 consequently I will load for either one chosen. I do compete and that could be fun too however this will primarily be rotated in as another edc dependant upon where I intend to be. I will carry for hiking and live in the Southeast so polar bears are not much of a concern unless this weather keeps up! Lastly as a backup when hunting.

Thank you DT!

38 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

How about a 30 with 10mm conversion barrel? 

I have a G20 and love shooting 10mm. But if I'm honest, I probably wouldn't shoot it all that much if I didn't reload.

Edit: I see you plan to carry it. Conversion barrel probably not great for that, but you could at least shoot multiple calibers for fun but carry the .45 stock barrel

Interesting, honestly I didn't know this could be done! Is the 30 frame strong enough? Why would a conversion barrel not be good for edc? Is one able to put a 30 barrel in a 29?

Much appreciated!

5 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Interesting, honestly I didn't know this could be done! Is the 30 frame strong enough? Why would a conversion barrel not be good for edc? Is one able to put a 30 barrel in a 29?

Much appreciated!

Frame is the same between 29 and 30. No issue with strength. Some people have reservations about carrying a pistol modified from stock, but I don't think it's a reliability issue. More of a legality one (check your local laws and the issuing agency of your concealed permit). 

You can put a 29 conversion barrel in a 30, but not the other way around. This is due to the size of the hole the barrel passes through in the end of the slide. A 29 slide will not be able to accommodate the diameter needed for a .45 projectile/barrel combo.

G30 was my EDC for a year or two. Nice pistol and quite accurate. I liked it. However, I'm not a big guy and it was like carrying a brick around in my pants - thick and heavy. Especially heavy with hi cap mag with 230gr loads. I see you have a 19 and a 43. The G30 would be a big change.

3 hours ago, lgh said:

G30 was my EDC for a year or two. Nice pistol and quite accurate. I liked it. However, I'm not a big guy and it was like carrying a brick around in my pants - thick and heavy. Especially heavy with hi cap mag with 230gr loads. I see you have a 19 and a 43. The G30 would be a big change.

Thank you for pointing out a caution, much appreciated!

10 hours ago, TrackCage said:

Frame is the same between 29 and 30. No issue with strength. Some people have reservations about carrying a pistol modified from stock, but I don't think it's a reliability issue. More of a legality one (check your local laws and the issuing agency of your concealed permit). 

You can put a 29 conversion barrel in a 30, but not the other way around. This is due to the size of the hole the barrel passes through in the end of the slide. A 29 slide will not be able to accommodate the diameter needed for a .45 projectile/barrel combo.

Thanks TC, that stands to reason. I just spoke to a Glock tech who stated although the polymer frame of the 29 & 30 are the same one cannot shoot 10 mm from the 30 frame due to different internal components within the frames that support the difference in calibers...

I watched Hickok 45 and another test last night on YT. H45 didn't seem to think there was much of a difference between the 45 and 10 Remember though he is also not a small guy... Instantly one could clearly hear the difference regarding the time it took the 45 vs the 10 to hit the gong!  Now, the other guy used a chrono which showed 200+ fps difference! He also noted the fps gap between the 45 & 10 could be substantially reduced with 45+P loads. Hmmm,  was hoping for a decision making distinction.

Signed,

Still Undecided...

Let me qualify the following remarks with a little background data:  I shoot well; and I've been shooting pistols well for a good 30 + years.  9 x 19mm, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm, and 45 ACP, they're all the same to me.  I can shoot any of them straight; but ....... I strongly prefer to do all of my serious pistol shooting with 45 ACP.  'Why?'  Not because 10mm/40 S&W aren't serious cartridges; (They are!) but because 10's and 40's are so much more (What word shall I use?) 'arduous' to skillfully fire, aim, and control.  I honestly truly believe that one of the principal reasons 'Why' 10's of 1,000's of police officers can't hit their targets squarely during CQB pistol combat is because modern police departments have done an excellent job of 'out gunning' themselves!  

I do a lot of high speed pistol shooting; and, personally, I hate having to work as hard as I must in order to control and accurately place 10mm/40 S&W pistol fire.  I can easily put out two, or maybe even three, accurate rapid-fire pistol shots with a 45 ACP pistol; but the reverse situation would be impossible for me to accomplish.  I have long regarded (and completely agree with the late Jeff Cooper), both, 10mm, and 40 S&W to be poorly thought out solutions to a CQB pistol combat problem that, in reality, never existed.  

Instead of inventing a pistol caliber that was both powerful  and accurate enough to be expeditiously used in personal combat — No combat pistol caliber, except maybe 10mm or 357 Magnum, is reasonably controllable and powerful enough to quickly guarantee taking a person out of the fight —  FBI ballisticians went to powerhouse extremes and came out with two difficult-to-control and, for many people, hard to shoot straight 10mm and, then, 40 S&W rounds.  Personally, I am convinced that this choice of combat calibers was (is) a serious mistake that has subsequently caused a great many law enforcement officers to either (1) altogether miss their targets, or (2) place widely dispersed and consequently ineffective bullet strikes onto their targets.  

45 ACP cartridges have none of the 10mm/40 S&W difficult handling or accuracy problems.  I don't need to be young; I don't need to be particularly strong; I don't need to fire an absolute minimum of 300 rounds each week in order to work well with a 45 ACP pistol; but, ....... I do have to use extra concentration, keen visual acuity, and extra muscle in order to do the same thing with any of my friends':  G-20's, G-22's, and G-29's; and the older I get the more I adhere to this opinion.  Given a choice I'll always choose 45 ACP for serious pistol shooting; and if I can't get my hands on 45 ACP then I'll use 9 x 19mm.  Yes, I've seen certain other well experienced pistoleros fire 10mm pistols very well; but, these people are invariably the exception rather than the rule.   

I would suggest thinking about this:  Properly placed 357 Magnum and 10mm bullets WILL get the job done; however, both pistols are, by comparison, slower to operate skillfully, and more difficult to fire in straight shooting, nice tight groups.  (This is NOT my opinion; it is well known fact.)  

Edited by Arc Angel

On 1/18/2018 at 7:13 AM, lgh said:

Indeed, this is why I am taking my time with the decision. I do love shooting a 45 though and fortunately I shoot them well...

21 hours ago, Arc Angel said:

Let me qualify the following remarks with a little background data:  I shoot well; and I've been shooting pistols well for a good 30 + years.  9 x 19mm, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 10mm, and 45 ACP, they're all the same to me.  I can shoot any of them straight; but ....... I strongly prefer to do all of my serious pistol shooting with 45 ACP.  'Why?'  Not because 10mm/40 S&W aren't serious cartridges; (They are!) but because 10's and 40's are so much more (What word shall I use?) 'arduous' to skillfully fire, aim, and control.  I honestly truly believe that one of the principal reasons 'Why' 10's of 1,000's of police officers can't hit their targets squarely during CQB pistol combat is because modern police departments have done an excellent job of 'out gunning' themselves!  

I do a lot of high speed pistol shooting; and, personally, I hate having to work as hard as I must in order to control and accurately place 10mm/40 S&W pistol fire.  I can easily put out two, or maybe even three, accurate rapid-fire pistol shots with a 45 ACP pistol; but the reverse situation would be impossible for me to accomplish.  I have long regarded (and completely agree with the late Jeff Cooper), both, 10mm, and 40 S&W to be poorly thought out solutions to a CQB pistol combat problem that, in reality, never existed.  

Instead of inventing a pistol caliber that was both powerful  and accurate enough to be expeditiously used in personal combat — No combat pistol caliber, except maybe 10mm or 357 Magnum, is reasonably controllable and powerful enough to quickly guarantee taking a person out of the fight —  FBI ballisticians went to powerhouse extremes and came out with two difficult-to-control and, for many people, hard to shoot straight 10mm and, then, 40 S&W rounds.  Personally, I am convinced that this choice of combat calibers was (is) a serious mistake that has subsequently caused a great many law enforcement officers to either (1) altogether miss their targets, or (2) place widely dispersed and consequently ineffective bullet strikes onto their targets.  

45 ACP cartridges have none of the 10mm/40 S&W difficult handling or accuracy problems.  I don't need to be young; I don't need to be particularly strong; I don't need to fire an absolute minimum of 300 rounds each week in order to work well with a 45 ACP pistol; but, ....... I do have to use extra concentration, keen visual acuity, and extra muscle in order to do the same thing with any of my friends':  G-20's, G-22's, and G-29's; and the older I get the more I adhere to this opinion.  Given a choice I'll always choose 45 ACP for serious pistol shooting; and if I can't get my hands on 45 ACP then I'll use 9 x 19mm.  Yes, I've seen certain other well experienced pistoleros fire 10mm pistols very well; but, these people are invariably the exception rather than the rule.   

I would suggest thinking about this:  Properly placed 357 Magnum and 10mm bullets WILL get the job done; however, both pistols are, by comparison, slower to operate skillfully, and more difficult to fire in straight shooting, nice tight groups.  (This is NOT my opinion; it is well known fact.)  

Although I will shoot a 29 prior to making my final choice I know in the back of my mind you are spot on for my purposes and goals as well!

Thanks again!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

If you decide on the .45, check out the   G30S.  It has a thinner slide and isn't so much like a brick.    It is essentially the same size as a Glock 19.  I can carry my G30S in most of my G19 holsters.  If you go with the G30S you won't be able to convert to 10mm.