Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125 or 135gr for Tanfoglio Stock II

ARMAGEDON

Hi there everyone.    I just started reloading a month ago.    I have a Tanfoglio Stock II.    I used it for USPSA.    I have been using SNS coated bullets in 135gr.    AOL 1.130 with 3.3 Titegroup.    I did several chronos on it and it was giving me 129.2 PF.....................which i like

I heard from several friends at the range that i should go down to 125 or 124gr because the Tanfo moves faster and work better with 124 or 124gr.    Any suggestions?    Any opinion?     Yesterday i tried Berrys 124gr hollow point and i liked them.    They are more expensive but felt them more accurate.

Any thoughts between 124-125 or 135gr for Tanfoglio Stock II?

I’ve shot 135g bayou’s in the same PF range with titegroup for over a year in my stock 2. Started with an 8lb recoil spring and eventually settled on a 6lb, haha.

It’s all personal preference. Try different recoil springs, as each bullet, from 115-165g 9mm feel different in the hand and slide speed.

10 minutes ago, bigbob21 said:

I’ve shot 135g bayou’s in the same PF range with titegroup for over a year in my stock 2. Started with an 8lb recoil spring and eventually settled on a 6lb, haha.

It’s all personal preference. Try different recoil springs, as each bullet, from 115-165g 9mm feel different in the hand and slide speed.

Thanks Bob

I’ve been shooting 135gr Xtreme rnfp and hp in my stock II for a couple of years. I switched from Montana Gold 124 hp which I’d been shooting for years prior to that in the Stock II, glock, M&P, and CZ Shadow. While I loved the soft recoil impulse of a 147gr bullet in minor, I always felt like I was waiting for the gun if that makes any sense. I switched to the 124gr bullet to get a faster impulse and just dealt with the snappier felt recoil. When Xtreme came out with the 135gr rnfp I did side by side testing and found the accuracy to be the same while the impulse was fast yet soft. Pretty much the compromise I was looking for. I haven’t looked back since. 

As a side note I’ve heard people stating that tightgroup burns too hot to be used with exposed lead bullets. Just something to investigate as I haven’t used that combination myself to give first hand experience. 

-Kevin

I run 124s because they all really shoot the same and honestly gear doesn’t matter nearly as much as the skill you gain by practicing with it.

Pick a bullet and a powder and go shoot: Tanfos recoil so hilariously softly that 115s feel like a 147 does in a polymer gun to me, too.

doesn't really matter. I've had 125, 135, and 147 all in the same magazine. I could notice the 147's because the slide felt slow & the recoil a bit more dull. Between the 125 & 135 I didn't really notice anything.

back to back drills on the timer showed no difference either.  I've gone with 125's cause they are cheaper.