Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Round Nose or Flat Nose for USPSA?

Lobonca

In very general terms a round nose feeds better. But a good running gun should run anything just fine. Flat nose or JHP's cut cleaner holes in targets if that matters to you.:) And JHP are reported to be more accurate but for what we do, i.e. blasting away at cardboard targets at about 50 feet max, I doubt it's that critical.

i prefer  hollow poiints,  fat points  or  round nose-flat points  for the  game  because  the cleaner holes lol.

seriously, i'm shooting glocks  and  CZ's  in limited  . i   reload  ,and    for some reasons  i  get more  consistent coal  with  fat points or  hollow points.

maybe i'm wrong  but  seems to me  hollow points  are  really suited  for  metal;  since  the round  is  opening on impact  it,s  like  the cinetic energy  is  spread all over the plate  so a  not so  accurate  shot  is  ''pushing'''  the plates  down  anyways  whereas  with a  round nose the plate  might stay up  if  the shot is  way  down on the plate....but it is  juste an impression  i  get......on top of it  some plates  near may goes  down  by  getting  ''shrapnels''''   coming from the plate  i've  shot at LOL.

as  for  feeding, i've  never  had  more  troubles  making hollows  or  FP's  feeding correctly  so  i  can't  comment on this.

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I like TC or similar flat-pointed bullets because I can load them much longer than a round-nose in my guns with shorter chambers.

Weird. For me it has more to do with the bullets ogive than the point/meplat. My situation is the exact opposite. The FP I load have a wider ogive, which means they engage the rifling sooner, so I need to load them fairly short (1.09) for my CZ Shadow. Generally, I can load much longer with RN bullets.

Edited by 4n2t0

3 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

Weird. For me it has more to do with the bullets ogive than the point/meplat. My situation is the exact opposite. The FP I load have a wider ogive, which means they engage the rifling sooner, so I need to load them fairly short (1.09) for my CZ Shadow. Generally, I can load much longer with RN bullets.

This is why I said last week in another thread that blanket statements don’t mean much when it comes to Reloading. Memphis seems to know his stuff but so much of this depends on the exact bullets used and YOUR gun. 

I can load much longer rounds in a given gun using MG 124 CMJ Than I can using MG 124JHP’s. MG RN bullets are very long slender nose where their JHP have long flat sides that will bottom out much sooner. 

BUT BBI 135’s RN have a really”bulbous “ shape. MORE LIKE A DOME. They have to be loaded waay shorter than a MG or even a plated XTREME RN.

41 minutes ago, Sarge said:

This is why I said last week in another thread that blanket statements don’t mean much when it comes to Reloading. Memphis seems to know his stuff but so much of this depends on the exact bullets used and YOUR gun. 

I can load much longer rounds in a given gun using MG 124 CMJ Than I can using MG 124JHP’s. MG RN bullets are very long slender nose where their JHP have long flat sides that will bottom out much sooner. 

BUT BBI 135’s RN have a really”bulbous “ shape. MORE LIKE A DOME. They have to be loaded waay shorter than a MG or even a plated XTREME RN.

Exactly my point, that's why Memphis' reply confused me.

For my 929 it has to be RN...either 147 or 160 grain just for the speed of reloading on the clock.  For the XDM 5.25 it eats anything I feed it...but it is the most accurate shooting 147 grain RNFP.  I like the feel of the heaver bullet on recoil and feel more confident when trying to knock down steel.

For 9mm minor, I've always wondered if the flat bullets might do a little bit better job on steel than the round nose.

Just based on the notion that rn might ricochet  a little better and deform a little less before losing contact with the target. 

On 1/16/2018 at 9:49 PM, Sarge said:

In very general terms a round nose feeds better. But a good running gun should run anything just fine. Flat nose or JHP's cut cleaner holes in targets if that matters to you.:) And JHP are reported to be more accurate but for what we do, i.e. blasting away at cardboard targets at about 50 feet max, I doubt it's that critical.

^^^ Bingo!

On 1/17/2018 at 8:31 AM, CamboSoup22 said:

+1 on the cleaner holes! Easier to see holes in the target 

why do you want to see the holes in the target? Or are you just being considerate of the RO's?

fwiw, i haven't noticed any diff in the holes between rn and fp, or any other shape except semi-wadcutters in 45.

Edited by motosapiens

45 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

why do you want to see the holes in the target? Or are you just being considerate of the RO's?

fwiw, i haven't noticed any diff in the holes between rn and fp, or any other shape except semi-wadcutters in 45.

Hmmm, There is a major difference in hole between bullet types for me. But, no it doesn't matter really.

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

Semi wad cutters cut a nice big ass hole. That is great for IDPA where they can't use overlays. USPSA doesn't really matter, we have overlays.

Moto, something is wrong with your wad cutters if you can't tell the difference in the holes.

I used 150gr Bayou semi-wadcutters for a while.  I’m back to a TC bullet. The holes look exactly the same in RN 147s, conical 125s, and those wadcutters.

Shoot them side by side. I did.

On 1/17/2018 at 3:31 PM, 4n2t0 said:

The 125gr TC from Black Bullets or Blue Bullets has an ogive that’s further back than any RN bullet. It’s shaped nothing like a 147 flat point.

Acme’s 124gr RN required me to load shorter than 1.110” to feed my buddies M&P. The exact same gun would take a 125 TC out past 1.150”

Before we throw around statements like “FPs load better than SWCs” or something, we need to clarify exactly whose mold your bullet maker was using!

As an example, it’s obvious that out of THESE three projectiles you’d be able to load the middle one the longest. And that’s the bullet profile I was referring to:

thum_222174f19b830b5ea4.jpg

Edited by MemphisMechanic