Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38- 158 FP for 9 mm

xpierrat

34 minutes ago, 57K said:

Try this: call Schuemann up and ask them what the powder charge should be from the published load at .001" overdiameter, .002" overdiameter  and .003" overdiameter according to the barrel's length and groove diameter and then the pressure generated by the LEAD load that's ,003" overdiameter. And ask the same for jacketed bullets .001" overdiameter and ,002" overdiameter.

Get back to us once they tell you; along with the pressure generated by the bullets of nominal diameter: .355" for jacketed and .356" for cast/coated.;)

You've claimed the pressure goes up with oversized bullets. How much does pressure go up?  Provide your evidence. 

I would be surprised if pressure didn't didn't go up with oversized bullets.  But there is no data one way or the other on this subject that I'm aware of. I've asked powder companies and bullet makers, and they don't have any data on this, and none indicated a desire to test it.  It would be easy for them to test this.  I don't understand their reluctance to do so.

Hornady uses three different bullet sizes in their 38 Super data, .355, .356, and .357, with no mention that bullet diameter affects pressure. I find that odd, too. One would expect them to say thing about bullet diameter and pressure, but they don't, and I don't know why. 

16 minutes ago, 57K said:

QuikLoad would provide 2 telling stats. Say we're loading 124 gr. jacketed bullets to 130 PF with .355", .356" and .357"  dia. Time to peak pressure will be fastest with the larger dia. bullet indicating that pressure is peaking faster, and therefore a higher pressure results. Time in bore will be higher for the larger diameter bullet as well, i.e., dwell time. Meaning a slightly higher level of recoil if all 3 bullets are loaded to reach 1048 FPS.

Your load manual should tell you that with a change of components that you should lower the charge and work back up. There are also indicators like case-head expansion. Lyman states that between 15K and 40K PSI, case-head expansion will linear. With a Mic that measures in tenths, that being ten-thousandths of an inch, you could measure increases in case-head expansion as the powder charge is increased.;)

Do those Quickload calculations and get back to us. Thanks.

Thanks to all who have responded... info to ponder for sure...  we would of course start with a very light load... BTW these are plated not jacketed ...  I will start with Bullseye at 2.5  grn with the 158 grn head