Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer shaving on XL 650

I just started having primer shavings on my XL 650 recently.  The symptom is the upstroke will feel a bit of resistance near the bottom, then it would go on as usual.   Close inspections show that the primer punch is not truly in the center of the shell plate hole.   It's off by just 1/10 of an inch or less.  I called Dillon and they said it will require alignment.   I am just curious if there is any quick fixes ... It appears that if I could just make the shell plate go 1/10 inch further during its rotate, it would solve the problem.

I have replaced the index pawl and pawl spring + index ball and ball spring under the shell plate, but that did not fix the problem.  The shell plate looks in good shape. 

I also have adjusted the indexer block for the shell plate rotation, but that did not help either.  

Any other ideas?

PrimerShaving.jpg

There is an adjustment post that will fine tune the shell plate location. It it the same post that drives the index ring. It has two hex head bolts that you can loosen and adjust forward and backwards. This can fine tune the shell plate location if press is not out of alignment. 

Yeah - That's the indexer block I adjusted. 

I pushed it all the way forward then all the way to the back.  All the way backwards is the position I think will make the shell plate rotate a bit more - that's what I need.  It's now all the way back, but still does not fix the issue. 

Maybe the plastic index ring is worn off too much material?  I image if the index ring is a bit thicker, it would achieve the same result, e.g. rotating the shell plate slightly more. 

Thanks for all the inputs. 

I checked the plastic index ring (Dillon part # 13677 - Ring Indexer) and it appears to be in good shape.   However, I think it's about time to replace that together with the indexer return spring now I have loaded about 50k rounds on my 650.   I will report back if that solves my problem.  

I had one break and didn't know it until I was deep cleaning the press. Hopefully that corrects your issue. If you don't have an alignment tool get Dillon to send you one and align everything when you get it put back together. 

3 hours ago, bwikel said:

I had one break and didn't know it until I was deep cleaning the press. Hopefully that corrects your issue. If you don't have an alignment tool get Dillon to send you one and align everything when you get it put back together. 

Thanks.  Is using the alignment tool a requirement when you put back the platform/index ring?  I watched a youtube video on that whole thing, and I hate to take off all my dies and put them back on for readjustments... 

If you want the tool head aligned with the platform yes it is needed. The alignment tool drops in a powder die. If you know someone with a empty tool head borrow it for the alignment. I haven't tried it but you may be able to just pull your powder measure off the tool head drop the alignment tool in and leave dies in place. 

• 1 month later...

I got the alignment tool.  I actually was able to align the platform without taking off any die except the expander die.  

It was aligned perfectly, but after 100 rounds, the primer shaving started again. 

I am suspecting it is the shell plate itself - maybe the dent ball positions are messed up?  I could not visually see anything wrong, but my next step is to buy a new shell plate and try it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was having this issue but the index tool helped then I developed another issue where my cases were jamming into the sizer die damn near ever 4-5th rd. Dillon sent me alignment tool and the amount I had to turn platform to get it aligned with the tool created 2 other problems. Got bad news from Dillon cause they said send it back. I really don’t think my 650 was right from the beginning. Hopefully it comes back 100%. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 11:49 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Yes it wears over time, and probably is out of travel, especially if you don’t lube it every few hundred round. I replaced mine once.

Then never did it again. These rock:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222665034936

Never heard of this before, what is the issue that it fixes?  My 650 is running fine but I like to have ideas for when things start to happen.  

Found this Youtube and now it makes more sense.

Edited by Banacek

@Banacek after 20,000+ rounds or so the plastic on plastic interface at that point wears. Periodically you have to adjust the position of the index cam as it wears.

Particularly if you don’t grease this point frequently.

Roller bearings always operate smoother than a friction interface, and you can keep the surfaces clean and dry so touching them doesn’t get your hands filthy.