Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new LW BCG and Load

ffgats

Its an 18' bbl rifle gas system, BCM BCG , Odin Adjustable Gas Block was my original set up

it runs 100% with my lightest load of 24.5 grs of H335, the bolt locks open. outside Temp was 15 deg Celsuis

Replaced the BCG ONLY with Faxon LW BCG,  same gas setting, same buffer spring., minus 10 C

It will cycle but will not lock the bolt open. My pressumption was it will work better since I have reduced the weight of the BCG.

Will also mentioned that this is time there is a 25 degress C difference on the temp. Could it be the Temp?

thanks

As others have said, something is definitely not right.My hoser load is 23gr of h335. I have several AR's that I use for 3 gun, one being an 18'' rifle gas barrel with a JP LMOS BCG. I have the gas turned down pretty low and it still runs great with that load. As for temp, definitely not the case, I was out shooting that rifle yesterday in 20* weather and again, no problems. 

Time to start troubeshooting. Is you gas block lined up correctly? Is your gas tube worn out? Does your bolt lock/unlock easily? What spring/buffer are you using? 

The gas block looks okay, the tube is less than 2k rounds, , using the RP wolff buffer spring and Vltor A5 H0 buffer which is around 3.2 oz. paired A5 buffer tube. it was running 100% with my old BCM BCG. will try again this coming days maybe the Faxon BCG just needs some break in. My other load which 25.0 gr. of H335 still runs okay same with my CFE 26gr.

I am just wondering why this time with a Lighter BCG it doesn't lock back the at the rear with empty mag.

7 minutes ago, Todd7446 said:

The Lucas Oil (assume it is the green Extreme Duty) is fine at that temperature.  Adding Slide Glide (a grease) will really increase the viscosity, which *could* be an issue.

that would be my plan in the next session, just Lucas Oil.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 1:51 PM, mpom said:

Please keep us informed of the outcome.

Finally got the chance to went back to the range, but I don't think can give a concrete answers ,  since I replaced some maintenance parts of my Odin Gas Block cleaned the gas tube and field strip my new Faxon LW BCG. But I remember very well , its on my notes anyways that before the LW BCG my gas setting was on the 10 clicks using the BCM BCG and was running perfect.  although the last time was giving me some problems with loads of H335 24.5gr with the Faxon LW, this time after the cleaning and maintenance done, the Rifle now is running smoothly on the 8 setting., it will even run on 7, but for insurance purposes I opted to #8.  so less gas this time with my Faxon LW.