Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MSA Sordin Ear Protection Availability?

jkrispies

I bought my MSA  Sordins from SRS Tactical about 4 years ago. Had them do some service on them also. I think SRS is the US importer of these. Get the gel ear pads they fit over shooting grasses better.

Jay

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BoyGlock said:

With a pro x with gel pads I cannot use it without ear plugs shooting open and .40 std. Nrr below 20, not enough for range use for me. 

And THAT is why I never bought them. A buddy had a pair and got rid of them. For all the great looks and electronics, the noise reduction just wasn’t enough.

2 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

With a pro x with gel pads I cannot use it without ear plugs shooting open and .40 std. Nrr below 20, not enough for range use for me. 

28 minutes ago, Sarge said:

And THAT is why I never bought them. A buddy had a pair and got rid of them. For all the great looks and electronics, the noise reduction just wasn’t enough.

Yall are on crack. I had to wear plugs with the Howard lieghts... not with these MSA’s.  I shoot the loudest supercomp gun at the match... any match. 

3 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Yall are on crack. I had to wear plugs with the Howard lieghts... not with these MSA’s.  I shoot the loudest supercomp gun at the match... any match. 

I use plugs on both. Howard L is bad but for its price I can forgive it. But MSA for its price make it the worst and unforgivable in my book. I had HL then MSA pro and at present pro x. They all taught me to double plug. Also both my MSAs got their exterior wiring insulations cracked in no time at all.  

I haven't tried the Sordins at the range yet (will report when I do, though it might be awhile), but I keep seeing both sides of this Sordins argument.  I've gotten the feeling that NRR thrives more in marketing land than reality (kinda like lumens ratings with flashlights) so I did some research.  Here's the article that reconciled the discrepancy for me, and I bought them after reading it, as it basically shows out the NRR rating for the Sordins doesn't tell the whole story regarding their coverage range:  https://trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/msa-sordin-supreme-performance-the-misleading-nrr18db-rating/  Like I said, I'll come back with a report later on.  While I'm not shooting open, I've been using Peltor Tactical Sports for years, and I've also owned and used Pro Ears Golds, so I've got a decent breadth of experience for comparison at least with regards to high-end electronic muffs.

8 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

I use plugs on both. Howard L is bad but for its price I can forgive it. But MSA for its price make it the worst and unforgivable in my book. I had HL then MSA pro and at present pro x. They all taught me to double plug. Also both my MSAs got their exterior wiring insulations cracked in no time at all.  

Do you wear Oakley’s? Or bulging eye wear that could cause this lack of noise reduction? 

I was blown away at how good they reduced noise. I ROed a bunch of other open shooters and never felt like I needed plugs. I am very happy with my set. 

One thing we should consider: most if not all of us shooters have damaged hearings that we might feel one muff is sufficient enough but in reality is inadequate to protect our ears. This could mess with our better judgements. MSA’s nrr at 18 and my experience with it vs other muffs made me look for other alternatives. Ive ordered 3M Peltor Sport Tactical 500 nrr 26 just days ago and waiting for it to arrive and see if I can move on from these muffs. 

Edited by BoyGlock

4 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Do you wear Oakley’s? Or bulging eye wear that could cause this lack of noise reduction? 

I was blown away at how good they reduced noise. I ROed a bunch of other open shooters and never felt like I needed plugs. I am very happy with my set. 

No oakley. Rudys Rydon and Air blast.  But with gel pads it should not matter much. 

I had my friend borrow my pro x when his muff was misplaced and I forgot to tell him to double plug. After his run he was very critical of my muffs extreme lack of protection and loudly wondered how I ended up with such muff with such steep price. 

I just tried out my new Supreme Pros with gel cups tonight at the range and am anxious to use them this season. Firing 2 open guns (one with holes) and an AR with only muffs and no plugs I am a believer. I’m confident it is money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made it to the range today with my new MSA Sordins.  I was mainly load testing on a chrono and sighting in a new optic before doing some practice runs on Accelerator and Pendulum, so it was a good opportunity to test out the electronic muffs.  I did a side-by-side comparison of the MSA's against my Peltor Tactical Sports that I've been using for a number of years now and highly recommend to others who don't want to spend as much as the MSA's cost.  

Here's my findings:

• When testing with the audio turned off and no double plugs, the Peltors do block out slightly more sound, but the difference is moderate, probably in the 10-15% range but I'm just guessing
  • Double plugged, the sound muffling was indistinguishable between the two of them
  • Comfort level goes to the MSA's with gel cups
  • When shouldering a rifle, the MSA is the clear winner, offering virtually no interference against the stock that I noticed-- and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better electronic muff in this regard than the Peltors, after the MSA's.  (BTW, This was actually the reason why I decided to invest in the MSA's, as I've been noticing the Peltor's getting in my way with the rifle of late.)

Overall, I think the MSA's were a good purchase, though I'll be more encouraged to double plug than perhaps I was before.

Hope this helps folks,

J

• 2 weeks later...

My Sordins are going back to Amazon tomorrow. Color me unimpressed!

1. The comfort (with the gel ear seals) is not bad, although I'm at the very end of the headband's adjustment range. I guess my head's too big? (7 3/8 hat size)

2. I tried them at a match on Saturday, and they were horrible in the wind. It didn't matter which direction the mics were facing. With the wind buffeting, I had a lot of trouble hearing a CED 7000 timer.

I have some new Pro Ears ordered, so we'll see if those are any better...

Just coming back after being gone for a while and ran across this thread.  Curious - have Pro Ears fallen out of favor ?  Have use them for years in Open and liked them a lot.  Seemed to be the 'go to' here in Fl for a long time.

JimInFl

edit - oops, off-topic - sorry.

Edited by JimInFL

1 hour ago, JimInFL said:

Just coming back after being gone for a while and ran across this thread.  Curious - have Pro Ears fallen out of favor ?  Have use them for years in Open and liked them a lot.  Seemed to be the 'go to' here in Fl for a long time.

JimInFl

I found pro ear golds to have two faults. Very heavy for a set of muffs. Also, the batteries and electronics fill half the ear cups so they crushed my ears. I was in pain half way through a match.

9 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Ive gone the opposite direction, from MSA Sordins to Peltor Sport Tac 500 (bluetooth). Used both with gel cups. Sound reduction is much better in Peltor. And price is more reasonable to me. 

Yep Peltor makes good muffs. I use the Peltor SV tactical pro muffs with Gel cups. better noise reduction than MSA's and very comfortable.

11 hours ago, JimInFL said:

JimInFl

The plastic bands are junk.  After breaking several (and yes, I treated them with kid gloves after the first break, thinking I might be the problem) I won’t buy any pro ears products till they switch to metal bands.  Otherwise they were very good if you can live with the batteries.  

On 2/12/2018 at 9:37 PM, Sarge said:

Yep Peltor makes good muffs. I use the Peltor SV tactical pro muffs with Gel cups. better noise reduction than MSA's and very comfortable.

Peltor makes good muffs and they make absolute junk. The key is finding out which you are getting. I actually tried the Peltor Sport Tac 500s, but the Bluetooth sucked, it buzzed anytime it was on.

Anyways to go with the topic I've been using the same set of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X that I got from SRS Tactical almost 9 years ago. They've had to go back twice to SRS, once for warranty and once out of warranty, they it was a quick turn around. And they've lasted a lot longer than most other headphones I've used.

Edited by PPGMD