Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MSA Sordin Ear Protection Availability?

jkrispies

So I was thinking of picking up some MSA Sordins and looked them up on Brownells.... where they are listed as discontinued..  They’re not on MidwayUSA or OpticsPlanet either.  It does look like there’s plenty around on Amazon, though, but certainly not for close out “discontinued” prices.   Anybody know what’s going on here?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Don’t know but amazon has them on sale $269

That’s what I find odd— why is it so readily available there (for normal prices) but the usual retailers have dropped them with one listing as discontinued?  I don’t see any articles about them no longer being manufactured so It kinda looks like a distribution problem has arisen and maybe Amazon is selling old stock?  Perhaps the military placed a big order that has dried up the market?  I dunno....  All I know is I’d like a pair but don’t want to pay $269, lol.  

Edited by jkrispies

That’s what I find odd— why is it so readily available there (for normal prices) but the usual retailers have dropped them with one listing as discontinued?  I don’t see any articles about them no longer being manufactured so It kinda looks like a distribution problem has arisen and maybe Amazon is selling old stock?  Perhaps the military placed a big order that has dried up the market?  I dunno....  All I know is I’d like a pair but don’t want to pay $269, lol.  

That’s actually a really good price depending on the model. They go as high as $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

That’s actually a really good price depending on the model. They go as high as $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I found a two year old add for $247 at DAA. At the time that was $80 off normal price.

Hmmm...

I have howard leight impact sports for years without issue (on long range days, I try to take them off as much as I can to let my ears "breathe"). Tax refund is coming back with some $$$ and thinking about upgrading my gear a bit. Those with the MSA Sordins, are they really worth the price tag?

3 hours ago, Snowb1rd said:

Hmmm...

I have howard leight impact sports for years without issue (on long range days, I try to take them off as much as I can to let my ears "breathe"). Tax refund is coming back with some $$$ and thinking about upgrading my gear a bit. Those with the MSA Sordins, are they really worth the price tag?

It depends on what you’re after. Muffs are muffs as long as they are rated high enough to block out sound. What you pay extra for is the electronics that block loud noise while amplifying weaker sound such as voices. Cheaper muffs tend to clip all sound so talking sounds like this when shooting is going on. “ That ___a _____run. What load ___ you___nning ____ ese days? With better muffs like MSA or top of the line Peltor Tac Pro you can hear pretty much all talking while shooting

3 hours ago, Snowb1rd said:

Hmmm...

YES, they are the best especially with the gel pads. Tried the other cheaper ones and you really do get what you pay for. Plus, they use readily available AAA batteries. 

The headband fits with good pressure, unlike the brand that uses a plastic headband. The headband attachment points are made of metal, not plastic like the other guys. I like the leather headband cover too. 

The only thing that gave out after a few years is the insulation on the cables. Just wrapped with electrical tape and still going. 

2 hours ago, bob tx said:

check out SRS Tactical.

Bought mine there years ago, had repairs done there.

Just checked their website, looks like they are selling MSA Supreme Sordin Pro

WOW, REALLY BIG THANKS BOB TX!!!!  I just purchased from SRS Tactical using their 10% first time buyer's discount and free shipping-- $212.04 out the door.  SWEET!!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

WOW, REALLY BIG THANKS BOB TX!!!!  I just purchased from SRS Tactical using their 10% first time buyer's discount and free shipping-- $212.04 out the door.  SWEET!!!!!!!!

What is the code? I’m getting some and wouldn’t mind the extra $20 off. 

28 minutes ago, Snowb1rd said:

you guys are making it really hard not to grab a pair from SRS tactical lol. Whats the difference between the Pro and Pro-x?

I had the same question and looked into their website info.  It appears to me that the X has improved electronics linking the two mics that allow you to distinguish directionality.  For some it might not matter but it’s worth the extra $30 to me.