Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC giggle table.

Hello: Well we went out today in the cold 32 degree weather and tested out some PCC's. 3 of us were shooting the AR9's, Sig MPX, MP5, CZ Scorpion and a Mech Tech to see what we liked best. New PCC shooter, A PCC division shooter and a M PCC shooter. We all had a great time testing these guns out. I still need to collect the data from the other two guys to get the final results. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1289.JPG

Yes, indeed. Break your report down into categories if you could, Eric. 

One optic versus another. Side charge versus rear charge (if any). Lightest versus heaviest. Oh, and most certainly, comp versus no comp.

Thanks.

Hello: I can report on the red dots that we used. 2 out of the three liked the Holosun 510C with the 2MOA dot. One liked the Vortex Venom 6MOA dot. Next was the C-More with 4MOA dot and a C-More with a 6MOA dot. The two older guys put them in this order Holosun, C-More 4MOA, C-More 6MOA and then the Venom. Young guy liked the larger dot sizes Venom, C-More 6MOA, C-More 4MOA and then the Holosun. I did not like how low the Venom was on the rifle and also the small size of the glass. I am collecting more data on the rifles now. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

... I did not like how low the Venom was on the rifle and also the small size of the glass...

One thing I have always done is put my sights at about 2.6 inches above a rifle/carbine bore.  This is where most AR iron sights are.  No matter what I pick up, when I shoulder, the sights are right there.  For the Vortex Venom/Viper you need a riser.  I generally use a QD riser, but also use others.

I personally don't see the size of the glass making much of a difference for me.  I just look for the red dot.  I milled a Walther PPQ for a sight with a larger glass and traded it off and use Vortex.  I can not say what works for others, as many seem to like the bigger is better glass.  As I said, this is personal to me, probably a comfort zone because of training with what you use becomes the preferred.

Hello: The Vortex did have a 1/2 riser but still not quite high enough for me. One thing that I like about the larger glass is when you are moving and have two close targets, they just seem easier to pickup for me. I also find with the smaller glass I kinda get tunnel vision just trying to find the dot. The small glass is no problem on long shots that take a little time to shoot. For me on a PCC I will stick with the Holosun 510C for now. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

One thing that I like about the larger glass is when you are moving and have two close targets, they just seem easier to pickup for me.

That's the same reason I liked mounting my dot (2 MOA Romeo5) toward the back of the receiver better than at the front.

I can see your logic.  I have some of my sights moved back a little more, haven't decided on what is best for me.

On the target acquisition, I usually look to the target and move the sight to the target.  Then look to the next target and move the sight there.  More or less.  I would like to keep both eyes open, but with strabismus, not an option.  :P