Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Fitted vs. Drop-In parts

Doublehelix

I am just about to purchase a used 2011, and I have a few mods that I want to make, and I was wondering how many of these parts are "drop-in" vs. those that need to be fitted by a gunsmith, or if easy enough, by me. This is my first 2011, although I have 1911's, I never done any modifications to them.

Here are the list of items I am considering adding/upgrading:

• Wilson Combat Ambi Bullet Proof Safety (the current owner filed the current safety down to a nub, which is his preference. I tend to ride the safety a bit with my strong hand)
  • EGW? Stainless Steel Grip Safety (This is going to be pinned anyway by my smith, so I should probably let him install this, but would like to know if they are drop-in anyway)
  • SV Trigger bow (I prefer a flat trigger)
  • New grip and magwell (any filing or fitting required?)

Thanks for any advice here. Greatly appreciated!

Any safety you install will have to be fit.  I'd suggest the EGW bar stock ambi thumb safety over the Wilson.  EGW makes two grip safeties.  One will require a LOT of blending in addition to fitting the arm.  The other is the JEM grip safety they make for JEM Guns.  It is so closely fitted to an STI pistol that you will have to do no, or almost no blending.  You will still have to fit the arm.

You may have to fit the SVI trigger, depending on which new grip you get.  If you get a polymer grip, you will certainly have to modify the grip to fit it.  You may want to consider one of the other flat faced triggers out there.

It is very likely you will have to fit your grip, especially if your frame is STI.  Over the years they have changed the dimensions of their frames several times.  For example, one of my STI frames would require massive material removal to fit one of the new metal (non-STI) grips.  The magwell may also require fitting.  Some grips require the use of proprietary parts.

I'd recommend you have a conversation with your gunsmith about practicality and cost.

Edited by zzt

Thanks ZZT. He is going to be doing some tune up work anyway, checking it out from top to bottom, adding a thumb rest, etc., so I might as well let him do the rest of it as well. I just thought I would check to see what I can do on my own, partly out of impatience (he can't fit it into his schedule for another month or so), and partly to learn how to do some these things myself.

I appreciate your comments.

Many times the degree of what must be hand fit depends on the number of other parts that were hand fit. Drop in this most likely is compatible with drop in that, but if that has been extensively modified or hand fit, this will most likely require some modification or fitting itself. I bought a last ditch Para when they were clearing them out a couple years ago. The trigger was just plain bad. By the time I cleaned up the trigger a bit, the grip safety wouldn't work. The original trigger had so much creep in it somebody at Para (or Remington) had filed the grip safety ear down to a nub to get the whole thing to work. Now that there wasn't the creep and the sear released sooner, there wasn't enough length on the grip ear to block the bow. Whole thing was a mess but it shows how individual pieces don't function in a vacuum. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...