Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullet ring

glocklife34

I have a dillon 550 with dillon 9mm dies. I started loading 147gr xtreme but the problems is i’m getting a worst oal variances -/+ .10-.15 using 147gr xtreme and even notice that the bullet has a ring. I have been loading 115gr and 124gr but oal variance is within the normal range. Does anybody has same experience?

Does your seater die have a removable insert? One way is for flat, the other for round nose.

If the 'ring' is a dimple at the top of the bullet you may want to investigate the insert, if you have one in the die.

Figure 7 in this Dillon doc (http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon Manual PDFs/april-2015_dillon-die-instructions.pdf)

Edited by DownUnder

6 hours ago, glocklife34 said:

i’m getting a worst oal variances -/+ .10-.15

Yeah, that is way too much. I'm assuming the press is clean and you did not get a bad batch of bullets. Like downunder said, check the seater die. Check the shell plate to be sure it is tight enough. Separate brass to simplify things (although variable headstamps won't likely be the cause of so much variation). Make sure your dies are adjusted properly and where you want them and the lock rings are tight.

8 hours ago, glocklife34 said:

I have a dillon 550 with dillon 9mm dies. I started loading 147gr xtreme but the problems is i’m getting a worst oal variances -/+ .10-.15 using 147gr xtreme and even notice that the bullet has a ring. I have been loading 115gr and 124gr but oal variance is within the normal range. Does anybody has same experience?

You mean .010"-.015"???

Upon doing a little researching. It may seems that this problem is isolated to dillon seating die especially in 147gr. Some people recommended lee seating die or redding competition seating die to eliminate the problem. Do anybody use lee or redding seating die for their 9mm for seating to elimanate this problem?

i am using a Lee seating die so old it has a black plastic adjustment knob for the seating depth. Never had a problem seating 147 bullets with it. If you want to spend a little more money get the Redding but the Lee dies, as cheap as they are, work perfectly for me and have for many, many thousands of rounds.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I use Dillon dies to load 147's without issue but the bullet I load is RNFP so the round nose stem doesn't make contact with the point/meplat of the bullet. I would take out the seating insert and make sure it's clean. Also, you can probably fill the hole in the seating stem so that it won't mark the bullets but I would make sure the insert's clean first.

Edited by 4n2t0

Are you seating and crimping in the same station? If the bullet is getting crimped too soon then then it can be deformed when you continue with stroke.

Try backing off the seating die a little (and adjusting the seating depth appropriately)to see if that removes the dimple.

Rings or nipples get more prominent with plated bullets the heavier the bullet. It takes more force to push them in. 
Sarge is on point. I tried everything with 147 rn extremes...the conical seating stem left a ring and the flat stem smushed the tip of the bullet....but not CONSISTENTLY. Impossible to get a consistent OAL. Extremes either have inconsistent plating or lead alloy hardness or like said before, it is brass inconsistencies. I moved on to coated bullets and haven't looked back.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk