Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine round count critical?

Broncman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

It either costs something or it doesn't. ANY cost is relevant AND matters. 

Shoot your next match with nothing but your 140s and tell me where you finish (% wise) compared to normal. My guess is exactly the same. Your last match you were at 85% of the winner, so let's see if that changes with 140s. 

15 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Math is math. Less reloads are better.

Stage design 100% dictates if it matters. But the added round count allows people to be more aggressive. Its a whole different mindset. Thats where I see the major benefit.

4 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

If something costs you points in a match, isnt it a bad thing?

You want the points. ALL OF THE POINTS. :lol:

It doesn't cost you anything 99% of the time, and the other 1% of the time it won't make a big enough difference to win or lose you a match. 

It matters.  You want to have the option because it is always more effiecent to not reload.  But its so stage dependent.  I dont know why anyone would ever say it doesnt matter, because it clearly does.  Ofcourse if you shoot against people who are not as good as you, you can do what you want.  But if you are with matched competiton, small things like not having to risk a reload on a 28rd stage ...matter.  im really not sure why this thread has gone past the answer... yes it matters, unless you are a big fish in a little pond or you suck, the end.

2 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Shoot your next match with nothing but your 140s and tell me where you finish (% wise) compared to normal. My guess is exactly the same. Your last match you were at 85% of the winner, so let's see if that changes with 140s. 

It doesn't cost you anything 99% of the time, and the other 1% of the time it won't make a big enough difference to win or lose you a match. 

Until it does... and then you’d probably tune your mags up to hold the extra couple rounds after someone ate your lunch. 

Shoot your next match wjth ten round mags. MAn up homie. 

Edited by 3gunDQ

Wow, lot of thoughts on this topic. Basically I am just getting started in Open and the price of the extra 1-3 Rds in each mag more than doubles the price of the stock STI mags. Guess as I get better, it will become a factor.

In am in no danger of being the biggest fish in the pond soon! 

One place I shoot has a large Open group and the other not so...

Edited by Broncman

2 minutes ago, Broncman said:

Wow, lot of thoughts on this topic. Basically I am just getting started in Open and the price of the extra 1-3 Rds in each mag more than doubles the price of the stock STI mags. Guess as I get better, it will become a factor.

In am in no danger of being the biggest fish in the pond soon! 

One place I shoot has a large Open group and the other not so...

You have probably already heard this, but if the price of a big stick bothers you you really shouldn't be shooting Open.:)

Just now, 3gunDQ said:

Until it does... and then you’d probably tune your mags up to hold the extra couple rounds after someone ate your lunch. 

Show me. Give me one example where it cost someone a match, because of their 26 rounds vs that guy with 29. I showed you several examples going the other direction, at least give me the courtesy of the same. 

2 minutes ago, Jht05016 said:

It matters.  You want to have the option because it is always more effiecent to not reload.  But its so stage dependent.  I dont know why anyone would ever say it doesnt matter, because it clearly does.  Ofcourse if you shoot against people who are not as good as you, you can do what you want.  But if you are with matched competiton, small things like not having to risk a reload on a 28rd stage ...matter.  im really not sure why this thread has gone past the answer... yes it matters, unless you are a big fish in a little pond or you suck, the end.

Unless all you shoot is 30 round complete hoser stages with no where to reload, I would put money on it makes less difference than shooting on the move efficiently, shooting into and out of position well, and just being generally aggressive in how you shoot stages. All things you are pretty good at James, obviously.

3 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

There must be little to no open heat in your area. That is the only explanation for this.

The major I won with 140s only had one other GM and 5 Ms (with one who should be a GM, and one who is a GM in Limited). I am too lazy to look up the matches where my friend (that shoots a 40, hearsay!) won to see what the heat was like at those matches. But just thinking back to them, they were pretty similar.  

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

You have probably already heard this, but if the price of a big stick bothers you you really shouldn't be shooting Open.:)

Well,, that is besides the point!

Stock STI bigstick I got was on sale for $69 vs 150+ for an MBX.

Besides, this USPSA addiction is bad...real bad... Have not reached my 1 year anniversary date and have already bought and outfitted a CO setup, a PCC setup and an Open setup.

About ready to start a "go fund me" page to feed " my children".

1 minute ago, Broncman said:

Besides, this USPSA addiction is bad...real bad... Have not reached my 1 year anniversary date and have already bought and outfitted a CO setup, a PCC setup and an Open setup.

Use that factory STI tube, put TTI or Grams guts in it, put on TTI pad. 29 rounds. Much cheaper than an MBX. How many does your factory mag hold? If 26+, just go practice and get better to start with. you may be surprised. 

6 minutes ago, Broncman said:

MBX are over rated. I can get 28-29 in my various STI tubes with Grams guts and Bolen pads. But still $150 is not horrible. 

30 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I don't own any 140's.  Aaaaand I'm not conducting your experiment for you anyways.

Edited by theWacoKid

8 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

it doesnt matter until it does. Reread that and try to grasp it.

It may not have happened yet, it may have happened several times.... but when it happens to you then you’ll get it. AND then you can say I told you so. 

I'm certain that I won't have that issue, but thanks for the concern. 

2 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

I don't own any 140's.  Aaaaand I'm not conducting your experiment for you anyways.

I don't need to do the experiment, I have already done it. It is to teach you something that you can't seem to grasp. Seriously Ben, it doesn't make nearly as big of a deal as you all think it does. 

Just now, theWacoKid said:

/end thread

lol okay A shooter. 

2 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Daaaahahahahaha. He shoots with ten or has no sac. 

I will shoot my next match with ten just for you, would that make you happy? 

Its all important @Gooldylocks.  Just like you said.  And i can tell you right now, as someone who shoots with national champions and world champions monthly, the topic of reloading on a 28 rd stage comes up often.  And the consensus is always, not to reload.  If its important enough to factor into the equation of a stage, 28 rds with some steel and long shots (very common around me), it matters having the capacity to do so.  If i told them, hey my mag only holds 27 so im going to pop a reload right here nice and easy.  They would have the same reaction i would, laugh, say that sucks and ask of they need to borrow a 170.  Let there be no confusion, when you have the ability to not reload.... you dont reload.  It probably isnt going to put you 10% ahead of someone of equal skill.  But it gives you an advantage.  And when you are the only one without that advantage, you decrease the likelyhood of winning.  And when you already spend untold thousands a year in ammo alone.  WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU NOT GET A MAGAZINE THAT HOLDS 29 TO 30 RDS? 

This is James sighning out.

Or jumping off a bridge which seems preferable to this argument.