Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine round count critical?

Broncman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

There's no such thing as an easy reload or a good place to reload.  The best reload is the one you don't have to risk doing. 

:cheers:  I tend to be on the accuracy side of DVC so I love to go for broke and shoot a 30 round stage with 29+1 in the gun!  There's no better feeling than burning down a stage and showing clear with an empty gun :devil:

13 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

There's no such thing as an easy reload or a good place to reload.  The best reload is the one you don't have to risk doing. 

If this is true for you then the good news is that you know what to practice. 

Something I picked up from shooting with the good shooters is that being confident of a slick reload is a valuable tool.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If this is true for you then the good news is that you know what to practice. 

Something I picked up from shooting with the good shooters is that being confident of a slick reload is a valuable tool.

When an L10 shooter places 2nd overall out of 75 shooters....open,PCC,etc, then you know reloads are possible.

2 minutes ago, Broncman said:

When an L10 shooter places 2nd overall out of 75 shooters....open,PCC,etc, then you know reloads are possible.

When Alex Gutt (and the like) kicks the snot out of M & some GM open shooters with his production gun, that is further verification :) 

On 1/16/2018 at 2:25 PM, Mikeski said:

I have yet to see a stage where I don't have the opportunity to reload with out it hurting me. 

15 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Seriously?  I see it every week. 

What I mean is that I've never had to do a standing reload as part of my stage plan. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

When Alex Gutt (and the like) kicks the snot out of M & some GM open shooters with his production gun, that is further verification :) 

That's not even remotely the point. The act of doing a reload will never improve your hit factor no matter how good it is. 

24 minutes ago, Mikeski said:

What I mean is that I've never had to do a standing reload as part of my stage plan. 

That's never even a consideration. What I'm trying to point out is that even the "good" places to reload will lower your hit factor. 

The reason to have mags that hold 29 is so you can always choose the BEST place to reload. I very often see that spot after 6-8 rounds and other times it's at 28-30 rounds.  But skipping the reload entirely is always the best option for max HF, if executed. 

3 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

That's not even remotely the point. The act of doing a reload will never improve your hit factor no matter how good it is. 

The act of not doing one may hurt your score pretty bad though. Always good to be the person who won't get caught out if they have to throw too many make up shots. 

This entire thread is ridiculous. Like Burgess said several posts ago, it really doesn't matter. One of our buddies has won several sectional matches with a 40 open gun, placed in the top 5 at an area match with a glock 35 and no comp in open, and I have won a sectional with nothing but 140 magazines. It just doesn't matter.

Big sticks allow you to shoot more aggressively on steel arrays. Big sticks allow you to have more freedom in where you reload. All this discussion about reloads "Only hurt" your HF is silly, because it isn't really true. With a 140mm mag you still have plenty of options on where you do a reload, and worst case scenario you do 2 reloads for an extra security blanket. Big whoop, dry fire more so it is a non-issue.

My .02

What a load of shit... if you think reloads don’t matter run ten round mags and see how you finish against your usual competition... then come back here and tell me I am right.

Even though I know I’m right already. 

12 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

What a load of shit... if you think reloads don’t matter run ten round mags and see how you finish against your usual competition... then come back here and tell me I am right.

Even though I know I’m right already. 

Hmm, maybe I will. And that isn't the point I am making anyway, I'm saying that the whole "You can't win if you don't have 29 round mags" is a complete crock, and gave several real examples proving that exact point. If your big sticks hold 26+ and your 140s hold 20+, you are fine. If you can get more then awesome, but don't think that is what is preventing you from winning matches.

A reload will make "x" movement take longer than that same movement without a reload. However, if you practice until reloads just happen without thought, then it really doesn't cost much. Not to mention that the vast majority of people aren't capitalizing on their movement anyway. Get better at that, since it makes a lot bigger difference. 

@Gooldylocks I get it. Making one reload will not keep you from getting the W in some cases. Botch the reload and say hello to second or third place, maybe worst. All reloads have the potential for failure. 

Edited by 3gunDQ

34 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

A reload will make "x" movement take longer than that same movement without a reload. However, if you practice until reloads just happen without thought, then it really doesn't cost much.

But you now admit it costs something.  And every something matters.  That is my point.  Height of the fruit doesn't matter, it all needs to be picked.

Random examples of winning a match with a handicap is not proof that the handicap makes good sense.

24 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

But you now admit it costs something.  And every something matters.  That is my point.  Height of the fruit doesn't matter, it all needs to be picked.

Random examples of winning a match with a handicap is not proof that the handicap makes good sense.

I never said it didn't cost something, I said what the cost was irrelevant. There's a difference. I also never once said more rounds isn't better or that you shouldn't get more if you can (which you imply I did by saying "makes good sense"). Just that if you have as many rounds in your mags as the OP says he does, he will be fine. If you want to drop the money on pads and guts definitely do that, but if not just go practice. It isn't a big deal.

46 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

@Gooldylocks I get it. Making one reload will not keep you from getting the W in some cases. Botch the reload and say hello to second or third place, maybe worst. All reloads have the potential for failure. 

All reloads have the potential for failure. Everything has the potential for failure at some level. The jet you are flying in could lose an engine for no reason, the nuclear reactor at OSU could catastrophically fail, the bridges we drive on could collapse. So we make the chance of that happening very very very tiny. Dryfire more. Make botching a reload a thing of the past. 

I see so many open shooters that are afraid to reload at matches. It just doesn't make any sense. Get comfortable with them then don't worry about it.

Equipment is never the problem... Until it IS the problem.

I have shoot a few majors where having 30+1 at the start helps out a lot.

I know this is a very specific example, but the Ohio buckeye blast a few years back, Cody Baker hit a 20+ HF on 30 round burner stage. You kinda sorta need a big stick that holds at least 29 and runs to be able to do that.

Did that stage win him the match, or did he just get a couple more points than the next guy? My guess is Cody won, because he is a super solid shooter on every stage. Being consistent wins matches, as you know. Getting some extra points on that stage is certainly helpful but it probably wasn't the deciding factor. 

And again, I don't want everyone to think I am some anti-capacity guy. Mine hold 29, and 140s hold 24. I just realize that isn't what is going to win or lose me a match. 

Cody gained 12 points on the field on that stage. But lost the match to Hyder. Hyder lost 26 points on that one stage for just being slow(1.5 second off the pace, Hyder planned a load, Cody did not.)

Obviously in the grad scheme of a match it normally doesn't matter but this is one of those cases where an added reload was loosing you 15+% at least due to time.

@Gooldylocks I’m good on my reloads, I dryfire plenty. I am not arguing dry fire I’m talking about the match and winning and the risk reward of reloading or not. If I get 30 in my gun and you get 28 and we got thirty round stage watch out... I’ma bring the heat. 

On 1/24/2018 at 2:05 AM, Gooldylocks said:

This entire thread is ridiculous. Like Burgess said several posts ago, it really doesn't matter.... It just doesn't matter.

All this discussion about reloads "Only hurt" your HF is silly, because it isn't really true. 

My .02

45 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

I never said it didn't cost something, I said what the cost was irrelevant. 

It either costs something or it doesn't. ANY cost is relevant AND matters.