Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine round count critical?

Broncman

WxwsSetting up my 9 Major open pistol and working on mags. I just bought a STI new style 140 and 170 mm mag.

My 140 holds 21 Rds. Not even loaded the 170 yet.

So how critical is Rd count to you? I see people paying a lot of money for just 2-3 more Rds. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn’t say critical, but it comes down to a risk vs reward deal for divisions with limited mag lengths. If you can shoot the stage without having to reload, you would save some time. 

Open, not so much cause of the 170’s and one reload isn’t too bad. 

If I were getting set up for Open, I would get a couple of the MBX 155s instead of a bunch of 140s (would have a couple of each). 

Edited by HI5-O

IMO, if you can't get 29rds in a mag, you won't be competitive to win. I've shot with open 40 shooters or people who don't have big sticks and they just won't win. If you're okay with that, then it's fine

99% of the time there is a place to make a reload without losing time. I get 28 in my 170 but with the trend leaning towards nothing but 32 round stages I rarely use it. Easier  to just use 140’s. Heck, I know shooters that don’t even own any 170’s.

The only way I would drop a bunch of money on a 170 would be to get 31 rounds  in it.

28-29 rounds is not so critical to me. I use 3 170s in my belt and If I have to reload I load them only 27 which in my mind they are most reliable. Loading them to full capacity for a 27-rnd stage without planning a reload is bad stage plan for me. 

IMO, if you can't get 29rds in a mag, you won't be competitive to win. I've shot with open 40 shooters or people who don't have big sticks and they just won't win. If you're okay with that, then it's fine

I'll call BS on this.

I've watched guys win major matches with nothing but 140s also seen it done with a glock in 40.

Better shooters will win pretty much every time.
On a total hoser stage with little movement being able to not reload at all would be a nice advantage but, luckily they are few and far between.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I'll call BS on this.

Doesn't make much sense to me either.  Even with 29, you're gonna have to reload on a 32-round stage.  29 really gonna make a difference over 27 or 28?

If you have a 25 round stage with some steel in it you have to choose whether you want to plan a reload or not. Having a 28 round mag after making 2 makeup shots is really nice, when you need a third. 

Bottom line...

If you are just starting out then it is not that critical. I would spend more time making sure the gun runs 100% and planning an extra reload than trying to stuff more rounds in a magazine.

6 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I'll call BS on this.

I've watched guys win major matches with nothing but 140s also seen it done with a glock in 40.

Better shooters will win pretty much every time.
On a total hoser stage with little movement being able to not reload at all would be a nice advantage but, luckily they are few and far between.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I agree with what you're saying, but I feel like for the average shooter higher round count will give them every benefit they need. But opinions are like assholes 

10 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

One of the local clubs tends to have a lot of 20 - 30 round stages. I could see where not needing to reload at a couple stages ( or having a little extra room for make up shots) could be a really nice thing.

Most stages I shoot, the designers put it in the mid 20's or low thirty's. Forcing you to the ragged edge or a reload, or run a big stick for the low 20's. 

The cost of an MBX right now does not justify what it gets me. That may change as I gain experience. 

I agree that 99% of course layouts have good spots for reloads that don't cost you time.  Except for Classifiers, all the stages I shoot are in the mid-20 to 32 round counts and lots of movement.  I was taught to always start with a big stick.  I do, and almost always plan a reload.  The big stick gives you the ability to take extra make-up shots if you need to. 

I just bought two MBX 155 mags.  Based on my experience to date, I plan to use them routinely, and only use the 170 on courses where I am certain I can complete without a reload.  The extra four rounds in a mag give greater flexibility on reload points.  If it works out in practice, I'll sell the 140s.

Edited by zzt

I only have 1 -140mm magazine... 7 of the 170mm magazines... I rather have a few rounds left in a magazine than have 1 less than needed for a stage..  granted some stages require more than 30 rounds...   if they made a 34 round magazine... I would own one..

At least buy some Grahams spring/follower kits and you should get 28 with no other mods. Getting 29 in a big stick isn’t important until it is ... and your gun is dry with a mike out there you could have easily made up with that magical extra round. All my 170s can hold 29, I always download one round for a reload mag. 

Variety is the spice of life. I have several 140s and 170s. Each has their purpose depending on the stage and where the reloads happen. If I can get away with a 170 with 29rds and no reload then go for it. If I have to reload it depends on where is the most practical use of either starting with a 170 or just using 140s. 

Anything over 26 rounds in a 170mm mag is good. I can get 28+1 with my MBX Caspian/Tangfo at the beginning of a stage. A fully loaded MBX with 28 rounds in takes quite a bit of effort to click in. I load both 170mm's to 28, insert one mag, rack it, place it back in my belt, then put a full 170 in before the start of a stage. That way, when I do the reload the one that has 27 clicks in easy, without needing a bit of a push.

Would I buy a 170mm mag that somehow bent spacetime and could fit 32 9mms? Sure. But most people get somewhere between 27 and 29, and a big stage with 32 rounds, everyone's going to reload, and there's at least one dead spot in a stage where you can do a reload easy.

Im personally ok with what I get in my magazines. 29 (28 reloadable) in my 170, 26 in my 155, and 22 in my 140's. All MBX mags in 38SC. Even if a stage is going to be 26-32 rounds I will reload. I have yet to see a stage where I don't have the opportunity to reload with out it hurting me. If I am doing a reload I tend to use 2 155's over the 170 and a 140. I always like extra rounds.