Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal pcc

Depends on price. The new PSA GX-9 lower and the Gen 3 uppers (release after SHOT) are solid and can be had for about $750. If you want higher end, I am a huge LeadStar Arms fan. I would definitely check them out and if you decide on one, let me know and I will shoot you a discount code.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, ArcherAdrian said:

I was just pointing out what reviews/comments I have seen. There just seems to be more complaints about the weight of the JP compared to similar rifles.

Just doing a quick search:

JP GMR15 - 6 lbs 11oz

Angstadt UDP9 - 5 lbs

Wilson Combat AR9 - 6 lbs 4oz

Nordic NCPCC - 6 lbs 11 oz

With this info it makes the Angstadt very appealing and it would be interesting to feel the balance difference between JP and Nordic.

When I was considering a GMR-15 I was concerned with weight and balance also based on what everybody was saying. After getting it and running it for a few weeks now, I haven't  noticed the weight at all and def don't feel like the weight has slowed me down. In the past I ran light weight ARs and I tended to over swing the gun. Not saying its better than the others listed (I have no experience with), I just wouldn't rule it out because of weight. 

55 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The Sig MPX shoots softer since it is a gas piston gun. It shoots softer than anything I have tried so far which is a lot of different PCC's and setups. Thanks, Eric

Agreed.  Just switched to MPX after a year with the Tavor X95, and it's night and day.  The Tavor is an amazing rifle... just not optimum for USPSA.  The bullpup form wasn't as big of an advantage as I first thought it might be in tight corner stages and makes transitions slower, and while *incredibly* reliable the recoil is harsh with no real ability to modify it due to a unique blowback system. 

Tried a dozen different PCCs in the last few months deciding on the replacement and nothing came close to the MPX.  JP (and I own and love a JP-15), Wilson, F1 custom (BEAUTIFUL gun), Scorp, many different combo frankenbuilds... all fell before it.  It's *expensive*... I've got $2200 into it and that was with an existing C-More, so your budget might take it out of consideration.  But the near total lack of recoil with hot factory loads combined with just over 5 lbs of weight (thanks Tim @ Taccom!) makes for just a stupidly fast rifle.  Now my skills need to come up to the gun... it's going to take a while. 

If you go that way, plan on getting the pistol variant as cheaply as possible as you'll only keep the receiver.  Got mine through Gunbroker (Sportsman Supply) for $1195 shipped.  $500 Taccom ULW barrel/guard, $150 stock/tube/adapter setup, $200 Hiperfire Eclipse, $50 Radian safety, $100 for magwell and one extension.  Not a cheap setup, but IMHO one of the best (if not THE best) tools you can get to help win matches. 

Edited by NervousEnergy
More data.
11 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Can you leak any info on what is different with the GX-9 lower versus the current PX9 lower?

The GX-9 lower will be made in-house with new tooling. The biggest change was that the magazine is angled more forward to assist with feeding issues. The barrel will remain pretty much the same post the "PCC Chamber" marking but will have a little more chamfer with a reduction in sharp angles. The bolt will change to a solid 1 piece design to eliminate gas key breakage and the extractor and firing pin are tool steel. The ramp on the bolt was modified to use more aftermarket triggers and will have a removable center weight that works with most captured recoil systems. The uppers will be mostly slick sides with a custom profile that blends into the handguard very nicely.  You can see this on some of the newer uppers that have come out recently. I had a lot of input with the engineers on this one. As a competitor myself, I understand peoples frustrations and shared that with the team. For an inexpensive option into the PCC game, this one should do it. We tried to improve everywhere we could.

There are also some plans on doing some higher end builds as joint ventures with folks like LeadStar in both 9mm and 5.56. We had a great release of an LSA-9 earlier this year so you will see more of those coming soon too. The more I actively engage with customers at matches, the more info I can bring back to the team. I really enjoy it.

The big issue is making sure all of the aftermarket stuff works together. It's almost impossible. If the industry could get in a room and formalize a game plan, life would be better for everyone. Even at the high end of the spectrum I have heard stories where some parts didn't work. Folks assume that you can buy any part from any company and it will work similar to the traditional AR platform and quite frankly, they don't.

22 minutes ago, wyliearms said:

The biggest change was that the magazine is angled more forward to assist with feeding issues. 

Thanks for the info.  Changing the magazine angle forward is a good idea.  (I assume by "forward" you mean bringing the basepad back towards the trigger.)

I have four of the PX-9 lowers (a happy customer).  Three feed the first round from the magazine flawlessly.  One requires I pull backward ever so slightly on the base of the mag for the first round to feed. Pushing the mag forward never helped.

I sent Angstadt a message about the listed weight of 5lbs, here is the message:

------

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 8:39 PM UTC

Message - Your UDP-9 rifle listed weight is 5lbs. This seems extremely light compared to similar rifles of this size. Is this accurate?

------

Reply - The lower, upper, handguard and barrel are much lower weight than other alternatives which is what results in a lower overall weight.

Best,

Rich
(980) 222-4342
www.angstadtarms.com

-----

On 1/16/2018 at 9:59 AM, wyliearms said:

Depends on price. The new PSA GX-9 lower and the Gen 3 uppers (release after SHOT) are solid and can be had for about $750. If you want higher end, I am a huge LeadStar Arms fan. I would definitely check them out and if you decide on one, let me know and I will shoot you a discount code.

Thanks wylie!  I will be checking them out again after shot looking for the gen 3s.

Do you have psa discount code or Leadstar?  

• 1 year later...