Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Fang opinions

I tried it. 

It it only works with the new magpul Ctr stock. Wouldn’t work with fixed carbine stock. Returned it. 

Instead went with with an ace skeleton stock. Gave me the solid feeling I wanted in a longer A2 length of pull. That gave me the ergonomic changes I was looking for. 

The extra weight was a plus for me. 

Although I didn’t end up keeping the fang, when I went to the A2 length buffer I decided to make a spacer and about $2 worth of quarters to keep the carbine length buffer set up I have as it is tuned just how I like it. That was a fair amount of weight at the butt end of the rifle. As a result the center of gravity is at the front of the trigger now and I really love the feel. 

So to the fang adding weight, perhaps you will like it. 

50 minutes ago, sandrooney said:

I've got one (Thanks MikieM) and really like it. It gave me the extra length and stability for a higher shoulder hold.

There you go, buddy. My experience was more part of experimentation than anything else. 

I've one on my FX-9. I was able to remove the stock rubber pad and mount it with a pair of longer screws. I also have a C-more on the carbine using the MBX offset mount. As a pair they allow me to keep my head completely upright. I use a thin neoprene pad where the stock contacts the side of my face.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, phoenixsomd said:

. I use a thin neoprene pad where the stock contacts the side of my face

That’s a good idea. 

I tried the offset mount as well. 

It actually placed the dot too far to the left. 

To get everything properly aligned, my face was barely touching the stock. Not having a firm cheekweld slowed things down a bit. Also, I tend to cant the rifle counter clockwise to about 10 o’clock. With the offset that action actually lowered the cmore in relation to my eyes, the opposite to what I wanted. 

I ended up just drilling out the offset and using it like a conventional spacer plate. 

223398CE-8350-4CC9-BFF7-FEDB0CD2E0F5.jpeg

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre
On 1/13/2018 at 3:26 AM, phoenixsomd said:

I've one on my FX-9. I was able to remove the stock rubber pad and mount it with a pair of longer screws. I also have a C-more on the carbine using the MBX offset mount. As a pair they allow me to keep my head completely upright. I use a thin neoprene pad where the stock contacts the side of my face.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hi PHX,

How do you like the offset mount?  Ever run into offset issues or shoot up barricades?  

I had the nutty thought or running one of these with Vortex Venoms on either side:

https://www.barska.com/picatinny-style-dual-offset-rail-by-barska.html

I am not sure that it would work, but I would only be out $20 for the mount.

I have one on my PCCO, PCCI (Steel Challenge) and a gun I built for USPSA.  It allowed me to bring the gun further up than a traditional stock which gives me a more natural point of aim. It also sticks a little better in the pocket of my shoulder and added some weight to the rear. I guess I am odd as I haven't bought into the lightest PCC possible idea and prefer a nice balanced rifle over one that weighs 4 pounds. The rear weight helped balance the gun out. I prefer a heavier profile barrel that helps eliminate dot bounce (at least in my opinion anyway). The Fang offset the weight in the front for me. Its not terribly heavy but it was enough to distribute the weight better.

Con: It's slick. I had to add clear grip tape to the rear of it so that it would not slip.

The offset. I was an earlier adopter and loved them. That is until I basically retrained myself to not look over the centerline of the rifle which killed me when I started PCCI. What would be cool is to use it as an offset to a traditional site for left handed shots. Again, that was my experience and yours may vary. I shoot several other rifles and didn't want to get in the habit (which happened) of always positioning my head to look through the offset vs a more traditional position. Pics below. The black one has one now. I had one on order and it just arrived.

Fang.jpg

Edited by wyliearms
22 hours ago, Nemesis Lead said:

Hi PHX,

How do you like the offset mount?  Ever run into offset issues or shoot up barricades?  

I had the nutty thought or running one of these with Vortex Venoms on either side:

https://www.barska.com/picatinny-style-dual-offset-rail-by-barska.html

I am not sure that it would work, but I would only be out $20 for the mount.

Hey NL,  I like the offset mount but, it takes some practice to use it on walls or barricades to my left-side.  One technique is to use my left eye with the right one (dominant eye) closed while rotating the carbine towards the left side.  If there are a number of stage features requiring those type of shots I have also turned on the laser mounted up by where I normally place my left-forward hand.  I've have nicked a few no-shoots with the offset but, again that's a practice issue.  I have seen several rifles with a primary and secondary optic.  The secondary mounted with a single 45-degree rail to the right side. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 5:58 PM, sandrooney said:

I've got one (Thanks MikieM) and really like it. It gave me the extra length and stability for a higher shoulder hold.

I was wondering if the fang gets on the way when you’re moving/transitioning to different positions such as running up/down/sideways?  What is the weight of the fang?  TIA

I don't know the weight but it's not very much. I was wearing my jacket for a couple stages in the morning and I did have an issue with it getting caught in my jacket pocket on a gun on barrel unloaded start. It wasn't a big deal, other than that no issues.

The real reason I sold that thing to the Sandman was this: I was in the box and had made ready when the RO said, "Stock on the belt, please."

I quickly swung the butt-stock downward and when I did I caught myself in the right you-know-what. 

I screamed, fell to the ground into a fetal position, and was immediately DQ'd for violating the 180.

They don't call it a fang for nothing. :o

15 hours ago, MikieM said:

The real reason I sold that thing to the Sandman was this: I was in the box and had made ready when the RO said, "Stock on the belt, please."

I quickly swung the butt-stock downward and when I did I caught myself in the right you-know-what. 

I screamed, fell to the ground into a fetal position, and was immediately DQ'd for violating the 180.

They don't call it a fang for nothing. :o

I guess at my age mine just hang a little lower.