Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Swap for 40 Minor (same powder charge)

IsaacB

Hello internet,

I am looking to dabble in 40 minor. I'd like to just swap the bullet and keep the change the same.

Right now I am running:

180gr Blue Bullet

4.2gr Titegroup

1.14 OAL

and getting 961 fps (173pf) out of a 5inch barrel

Any ideas on where to start to get a good cartridge that meets minor pf with the same charge and OAL?

I'd like to stick with the Blue Bullets, but don't know that going from 180gr to 165gr would add up to much a difference. Thoughts?

Rainier makes a 135 grain that I am using in .40 Open, not too bad a cost. Nosler makes 135 grn also, but at a much higher cost. The difference between 180 and 135 should lower your PF enough to be noticeable.

Loading 4.3gr TG under a 180gr coated bullet has me at 177ish PF. Just for fun I grabbed some 155gr SWC and didn’t change anything. Same OAL and charge. Ran fine but was still at 155ish PF. I couldn’t feel a recoil difference unless I was really trying to. 

I was trying it for a cost savings as the 155s are about 1.5 cents cheaper a piece and work great for steel challenge.

My major load was 3.7gr e3 under a 180gr plated bullet for 172PF.  For Steel Challenge I substituted a 135gr Rainier.  It is barely minor.  As an example of what to expect, here is a bullet ladder I did when working up a load for SC.  Rainier plated bullets, 3.3gr e3 powder and CCI 500 primer.

135gr, 109PF.  155gr, 131PF.  165gr, 140PF. 180gr, 158PF.  I am currently loading 3.2gr e3 under the 155.  It makes minor and feels the best.

I swap out 200 gr Bayou's with 4.1grs WST at 1.180

with 140 Bayou's every thing else the same. for SC no sight adjustment. it hits about an inch to the right if I recall.

Lately just been shooting my major load for everything cause I ran out of 140's and never reordered

I did that for years. using tight group and WST under precision black bullets..
I loaded to 170 pf with 180's then simply swapped to a 155 grain bullet. I think I got around 145pf which was light enough, but strong enough to run my guns without having to change springs.

With a Bayou 200 coated rn 3.6 clys gives 860 f/s 172pf, same load with a Bayou 140 coated tc gives 930 f/s 130pf.

4.2 titegroup with a 140 should be around 960-1000 f/s 135-140pf, only way to know is try them.