Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Slide Milling

johnbu

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Custom work looks awesome.  I thought that CO was only for guns that were not single action.  I'm not an expert and may have this wrong.  I know my 1911 with a red dot was classified into open class.    Perhaps your gun is not single action.     First class work for sure.  Luv how the dot is so low on the slide. 

29 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

Custom work looks awesome.  I thought that CO was only for guns that were not single action.  I'm not an expert and may have this wrong.  I know my 1911 with a red dot was classified into open class.    Perhaps your gun is not single action.     First class work for sure.  Luv how the dot is so low on the slide. 

Stock 2 is da/sa, start position is hammer down.

• 2 weeks later...

Patriot defense just sent mine back.  I did not get the slide roughed up but the lower position is awesome.  I did have to use the 1 deg. shim but I am now really pleased.  I still have the front sight on the gun and the dot is right on it at 18 yards.

They did a great job and they redid the firing pin block.  

just under 140. plus freight

great job and I am very glad I had it done

Mark

Would you mind going into more detail about how they modified the firing pin block?

I'm curious to know if it is still functional, which you can test by pressing on the block and then trying to push the firing pin forward. Also wondering if the firing pin block spring is pressing up on the bottom of the optic

Also, we'd love to see you show off a pic or 2 :D

On 2/19/2018 at 9:35 PM, Tictacticaltimmy said:

Would you mind going into more detail about how they modified the firing pin block?

I'm curious to know if it is still functional, which you can test by pressing on the block and then trying to push the firing pin forward. Also wondering if the firing pin block spring is pressing up on the bottom of the optic

Also, we'd love to see you show off a pic or 2 :D

The FPB is completely functional after modification.... it just needs .200" removed from the OAL and the spring shortened.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, mfs said:

Patriot defense just sent mine back.  I did not get the slide roughed up but the lower position is awesome.  I did have to use the 1 deg. shim but I am now really pleased.  I still have the front sight on the gun and the dot is right on it at 18 yards.

They did a great job and they redid the firing pin block.  

just under 140. plus freight

great job and I am very glad I had it done

Mark

Mark mounted a Vortex Viper to his slide and out of the 10 or so Viper cuts we have done his was the first that needed a shim placed under it due to the fact he ran out of elevation while trying to zero the gun. He managed to find a shim that worked great for his application and hes up and running.  

1 hour ago, PatriotDefense said:

The FPB is completely functional after modification.... it just needs .200" removed from the OAL and the spring shortened.

Mark mounted a Vortex Viper to his slide and out of the 10 or so Viper cuts we have done his was the first that needed a shim placed under it due to the fact he ran out of elevation while trying to zero the gun. He managed to find a shim that worked great for his application and hes up and running.  

Putting a pic for me doesnt work due to file size.  Sorry.  It looks just like the one pictured above.  Except mine is a chrome stock 2

I estimate it is nearly .400" lower than with the dove tail plate.

The only draw back is you can't go back to irons with the dove tail removed

It is awesome.  I highly recommend Patriot Defense.  They keep improving the platform.

Mark

Ace

Unlikely. That’s my guess.

They’d have to make one for each model they cut, and for each optic in that model. Then people are going to whine if the finish doesn’t match.

Why go through all that work if the gun is still illegal to shoot in Production when you’re done? (Which it is)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

This is the important view.  the dot is VERY low. In fact, there is almost no difference in drawn gun position between dot and iron sights. It makes the transition from iron to dot as close to seamless as imaginable.

20180118_142404.jpg

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Unlikely. That’s my guess.

They’d have to make one for each model they cut, and for each optic in that model. Then people are going to whine if the finish doesn’t match.

Why go through all that work if the gun is still illegal to shoot in Production when you’re done? (Which it is)

Why do you think it wouldn't be Production legal? Troy already said CZC's plate system is legal with the iron sight plate in place. I'd assume if Joe did his likewise, it'd also be legal.

40 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Why do you think it wouldn't be Production legal? Troy already said CZC's plate system is legal with the iron sight plate in place. I'd assume if Joe did his likewise, it'd also be legal.

Troy had also ruled that aftermarket milling was illegal. But guns like my Q5 Match and the CZC (they’re technically a gunmaker per Troy, unlike CGW) system are done by the factory, and thus were okay.

But hey. All aftermarket triggers and hammers and stippling and trigger guard undercutting just  got the nod for Production. And you can now carve your CO slide up like a Christmas turkey.

So I’m sure it’ll get the okay. I think it should be totally acceptable as long as the slide isn’t substantially lighter, persoanlly. There’s no advantage.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Here is the pic of a stock 2 with an egw plate and vennom optic in the back

Stock 2 with slide milled in the front.

If measured it is nearly .400" lower

I finally figured how to shrink the file

Sorry it took so long

Optimized-20180221_181736.thumb.jpg.b693aa7aefcbdaf9ec471af63beb822a.jpg

.4" lower is truly a massive difference, there's no doubt this is the way to go instead of a dovetail mount. I'm really impressed they were able to retain the functionality of the FPB.

It would be nice if there was a way PD could make an iron sight plate, but that is extremely difficult to do with direct milling vs. a plate system like CZC is doing. Even more difficult when you include potential variability in the dimensions of Tanfo slides.

Makes me wish spare slides from EAA were actually cheaper than just buying a new gun...