Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Slide Milling

johnbu

Just got word that my slide is done getting milled by Joe at Patriot Defense. He also added some uspsa legal grip surface to the sides.

Will update after it's in my hot little mitts, but it looks pretty spectacular in the picture.

FullSizeR_1.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21.2b

Milling of slide

only as required to insert

optical sights

A slide may be modified specifically for

the purpose of installing optical sights

or cocking serrations. Textured

finishes, grip tape, milling or stippling

on the slide to provide texture is also

allowed. Cuts that are designed to

specifically or signific

antly lighten the

slide, such as holes, are ruled as

competitive advantage and prohibited.

20 minutes ago, YVK said:

Gonna be tight squeeze for weight, no? I checked my S2, scales for the grips and Henning extension on a mag, and it came to 44.2 oz.

In match trim with Taylor Freelance 140mm base mag, optic, dovetail mount  and a shim, mine weighted 44.7 oz with PD palmswell grips. 

I expect it to be lighter w/o the mount and the missing metal.  light enough to use the (soon to be released) "cheesegrater" grips from PD.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Can I get my initial and last name carved into the side of the gun with little diamonds?

signed,

Peter Enis

For you..

no doubt! Lol.

"Peter"

Fyi, the slide is currently strapped to the back of a foot sore turtle and expected to my door Tuesday.   more details at that point.  For costs and other details, contact the folks at Patriot Defense.

4 hours ago, IronArcher said:

Do they mill the slide “square”? Meaning you may still need that 1 degree shim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will know Tuesday when it gets here.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:07 PM, zombywoof said:

Is the slide milled for just one optic or can it be for multiple optic patterns.

Many optics share the same mount profile....... For instance i know the following will fit the same slide cut ( Docter, Vortex, Burris).... Only one that's considerably different is the Leupold DPP.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:07 PM, zombywoof said:

Is the slide milled for just one optic or can it be for multiple optic patterns.

Same as abve

On 1/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Can I get my initial and last name carved into the side of the gun with little diamonds?

signed,

Peter Enis

Only if its in old english....... 

Finally ! The footsore sloth used by the USPS delivered a package from Texas.

Yippie.

First off... DANG! the dot is now low low low. It would probably co-witness with the front sight fiber. (If i had a front sight installed).  on the draw, its just ... THERE.   No searching or hunting. Just draw like normal and there is the dot.

Next, the side texture is agressive.  i did a few unloaded table starts and its sooooo easy to slide in a mag and rack from underneath.  Grab it anywhere and you are gripping like Velcro.

Weight. Gun, optic, PD plastic palmswell grips and 140mm mag 43.5-43.6oz (it couldn't make up it's mind) . So it lost about 1.2oz between the cut and getting rid of the dovetail. Nice, now there is room to use different grips... just in time for the precision CNC milled ones from Patriot Defense to come out!

I did a quick zero. It dropped about 8-10" from the dove tail mount zero. About 1/4 turn was needed to bring it up. I zero at 38.5 yards (laser measured) and was just at the top of a 2" red paste on dot and getting about 3 - 3 1/2" grouping with the gun benched.  oh, previously it needed a 1degree shim but it zeroed in just with the mount direct attached (no shim needed). It probably will need a tweak or two on the zero, but ...BRRRR, it's too cold to stand about holding a hunk of cold steel. Lol.

20180117_130148.jpg

1 hour ago, e-mishka said:

Any idea if those diamond cuts are production legal?

Totally legal.

Cosmetic cuts, cuts for traction, etc ARE legal. Cuts to reduce weight,  thru holes, etc ARE NOT legal.

On 1/11/2018 at 7:21 PM, PatriotDefense said:

21.2b

Milling of slide

only as required to insert

optical sights

A slide may be modified specifically for

the purpose of installing optical sights

or cocking serrations. Textured

finishes, grip tape, milling or stippling

on the slide to provide texture is also

allowed. Cuts that are designed to

specifically or signific

antly lighten the

slide, such as holes, are ruled as

competitive advantage and prohibited.

Joe had posted this earlier.

8 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Totally legal.

Cosmetic cuts, cuts for traction, etc ARE legal. Cuts to reduce weight,  thru holes, etc ARE NOT legal.

Joe had posted this earlier.

Ok, I think its Legal for CO and SS, I could not find it in rule book for PROD.