Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grams Guts in .40/10mm 2011 MBX Tubes?

SlappyMcTrigger

I am wondering if anybody is running MBX tubes/basepads with Grams’ springs and followers. Specifically 140mm tubes for a 2011 to shoot USPSA limited division. I have 4- 9mm STI tubes with TTI pads for my minor pistol that I have run grams in with great success. Looked on here and saw that people have used Grams with MBX tubes but those who are appeared to be using them in big stick 9 major applications. I think I’ve read that the MBX tubes are a touch wider at the transition from double to single and this is my concern.

Thanks for any input. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SilverBolt said:

I ran Gram's guts in my MBX .40 mags without issue.  They do not work in the MBX 9mm mags.  I have since gone to MBX guts in the MBX mags.

Thanks for the response. Out of curiosity, are you still getting 21/20 reloadable? I only run 20 in mine currently except for the mag I start with. I recently ordered some SV mags and have seen where they are 19’s but up to 20 with Grams guts. 

Thanks again for your input. 

4 minutes ago, SlappyMcTrigger said:

After having my MBX spring/follower bind up my pistol yesterday during a stage I’ll be happy to get rid of them and start running the Grams that should be here tomorrow. I’ll post again once I get a chance to test them. 

I think you should stick with the MBXs.

It gets me closer to beating you. I've come to depend on your mags choking!

2 minutes ago, Woodsk said:

I stick with MBX guts, however you do have to change springs at about twice the rate that you do with Grams. 

Its cheap and worth it for mags that run

Interesting. I wonder why. Maybe thicker gauge spring?

I am having an issue with the MBX follower riding too high and getting bound up if I run my gun dry. This rarely happens so it hasn’t been a big deal but during a stage where the wheels come off the last thing I need is my slide wedging my mag in the gun. During practice I’ve gone to running a dummy round as the last in the mag to prevent it.

The good thing is they’re super cheap so at least I didn’t over pay. 

*rolls eyes so hard it hurts*

17 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

Ya you just have to trim the follower to not lock the slide but its no big deal.

Thought about leaving the tab and removing the shelf on the slide stop. The way you describe altering the follower is exactly what i did with my 9mm mags but I’ve heard that the MBX are wider through the transition. Considered leaving the follower tab to add a little insurance against roll over. Not sure yet just what I’m thinking. 

Slappy, if your follower is riding too high, one of two things are wrong.  First, are you using the correct follower for your mag (Gen1 or Gen 2)?  Second, did you condition your new springs and followers? 

If you have Gen 2 mags you should be using the Gen 2 followers.  They are wider than the Gen 1s.  Assuming you have the correct follower installed, condition the spring by fully loading the mag and letting it sit for a week or so.  MBX's instruction say to do this.  Once I did that, all my followers sat at the correct height.  I've had no problems with the mags at all.

Thanks @zzt. Not sure which gen follower I have but I bought all 4 new directly from MBX so I would hope they are the right ones.

As for the conditioning, I have left my mags loaded for weeks at a time and they now have several matches and countless practice sessions on them but the problem persists. I’ve tried sending several emails, included photos, and genuinely tried to work with Mr. Cobb and crew to no avail. I have received  no response/resolution despite my efforts which i would label disappointing at best considering my purchase of these “factory tuned” magazines totaled up to be more than that of the carry gun i own and would bet my life on. 

After having a stage last Saturday where the wheels came off, ran the pistol dry, and had my spendy mag bind my gun up I decided I’d had enough. I ordered 4 Grams’ Kits, fit them by removing the slide lock tab, and have been conditioning the springs since early Tuesday. Testing them today at the range and will update this post tonight. 

S, are these 40 or 9mm/38 mags?  Are they Gen 1s or Gen 2s?  You can tell very easily.  The indentation on Gen 1 mags runs right up to the top.  On Gen 2s it stops short.  You can tell what follower you have by looking at the right side of the follower.  Gen 1 followers have a small U (for Universal) on the follower, in the recess.  Gen 2 mags will either have a 4 or a 9 in the recess, denoting the specific caliber they are for.

S, that's not a G, it's an upside down 9.  You hold the follower spring side up to read.  That is a Gen 2 9mm follower.  You are using the wrong follower for your Gen 2 40 mags.  If I were to guess, the problem mag is on the left in the four mag picture.

I had the exact same problem when I bought my MBX 40 mags.  Even though I bought them at the same time from the same retailer, they were a mix of Gen 1 and 2.  I didn't know at the time there were two Gens.  Anyway, I had trouble with one of the mags and couldn't figure out why.  It wasn't until I looked down at the tops of the mags I noticed one of the followers was different.  It sat in the mag just like the one in your left mag sits.  I sent it back to MBX and they put the correct follower in.

You top picture is a Gen 2 mag.  The picture under is a ?.  The indentation does not stop short enough for a typical Gen 2, but also doesn't go all the way up.  From the looks of the mags in the 4 mag picture, all of them are Gen2.

So you have two choices.  You can use the Gen1 followers (marked with a U) in any MBX 40 mag, or you can use the Gen 2 40 follower with the Gen2 40 mags.  The Gen 2 followers are wider than the Gen 1s, so you have to file/dremel the sides of the follower to get them to work in Gen1 mags.

Edited by zzt

This makes me even more upset with MBX. I didn’t go through a retailer I bought directly from the manufacturer. Furthermore, I told Adrian about the “G” and he said nothing. All 4 of them are the same and all 4 have issues. I sincerely do appreciate your assistance @zzt. Funny that a fellow member got to the bottom of this in a few hours but MBX themselves couldn’t or wouldn’t. I will be running the Grams’ kits and hope they work but MBX will never see another dime of my money. Maybe if he had simply responded to my emails instead of making cute videos blaming the folks having issues with his product then he wouldn’t have me as a ticked off customer. 

OMG. After all those emails and your wasted time, pictures you sent, etc.!!

Its as if he did it to you on purpose! That’s the only logical explanation. Or, he didn’t care to read a single word, but still responded? Wow! Boggles my mind anybody would care so little for a customer? Sheesh!

Glad you got it sorted at least. 

Yep the gen 2 actually have G25 on the follower. Fortunately i have 12 MBX mags and never experienced a problem other than replacing worn springs.  It always amazes me on how short attention spans are amongst people.  Why even respond to an email if you don't have the time to read it entirely. I would be upset with them also.