Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Case Feed Jambing

I have trouble with my Dillon case feeder in 40 S&W jambing at the top where the cases drop into the drop tube. Sometimes cases get jammed sideways. Does anybody have a fix? Is it a vibration issue or is there some kind of adjustment I need to make on the case feeder mechanism? I have been running the case feeder to fill the tube then shutting it off while I load those cases which really defeats the purpose. I would like to fix this situation permently. My bench is rock solid and bolted to the wall as well.

Thanks for the help.

9 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I have trouble with my Dillon case feeder in 40 S&W jambing at the top where the cases drop into the drop tube. Sometimes cases get jammed sideways. Does anybody have a fix? Is it a vibration issue or is there some kind of adjustment I need to make on the case feeder mechanism? I have been running the case feeder to fill the tube then shutting it off while I load those cases which really defeats the purpose. I would like to fix this situation permently. My bench is rock solid and bolted to the wall as well.

Thanks for the help.

What about the bench top?  I know you said the bench is "rock solid and bolted to the wall" but does the top have any flex in it?  A thinner material that flexes a bit will allow the press to move during operation and could cause the problem you are having.

Hmmm - looking through pictures on google, i don't see the white delrin thingy anymore...it used to go into the top where the case drops straight into the funnel (preventing the case from going sideways)...the cases used to get stuck there because the cases would not fall fast enough, jamming the case feeder.  the fix was to take it out...that's what I did...I guess Dillon got rid of that piece...

looking through pictures, i see that there are pictures of cases being sideways preventing cases from falling down the tube - I believe this is your problem...

Sorry, that has never happened to me and i would not know how to fix that...

Edited by racerba
added more information

What have people done to stop the rocking and wiggling? Is it advisable to “brace” the feeder? Does anyone have any pictures of how they braced the feeder?
I braced mine to the wall with a pipe hanger. Stopped all the upside down case issues I was having. Only cost a few dollars.

6fda858e92d59ec4928a47ad924908df.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I think that may be the way to go. I would rather not brace it to the wall since I change presses out, but maybe I can do some kind of quick change wall brace. Have to work on it a bit.

Thanks.

Change presses???  Wouldn't it be easier to just change the dies...;)

you can have the attachment to the case feeder arm using a wing nuts so it will be an easy removal...

Edited by racerba
added more info

On 1/11/2018 at 10:19 AM, racerba said:

Hmmm - looking through pictures on google, i don't see the white delrin thingy anymore...it used to go into the top where the case drops straight into the funnel (preventing the case from going sideways)...the cases used to get stuck there because the cases would not fall fast enough, jamming the case feeder.  the fix was to take it out...that's what I did...I guess Dillon got rid of that piece...

looking through pictures, i see that there are pictures of cases being sideways preventing cases from falling down the tube - I believe this is your problem...

Sorry, that has never happened to me and i would not know how to fix that...

What model do you have.?

On 1/11/2018 at 8:34 AM, jhgtyre said:

What about the bench top?  I know you said the bench is "rock solid and bolted to the wall" but does the top have any flex in it?  A thinner material that flexes a bit will allow the press to move during operation and could cause the problem you are having.

I put a little bend in the bottom 1/4 in of the case feed shut off switch bar. Worked great. Bent it DOWN to the right. Lets it go up a little farther but does not hang up on the feed tube.

I also put a big champher on the top INSIDE of the tube.