Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have an old model RF100 which to which I retrofitted the Dillon rheostat. I am still having problems with “flipped” primers. Should I send the unit back to Dillon or are there some upgraded parts for which I should ask Dillon to send me? Which upgrade/additional parts should I purchase? I would very much like to get this machine up and running without problems. I am primarily using small primers, Winchester brand. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Turn it down to where it is barely moving the primers, then up just a crack. You should then get less flipped primers. It should take the full 2 minutes to load the tube.

Also, most of the time when I get flipped primers I blame the loader, not the RF. If you are using a 650, it's a likely suspect. The primer wheel coupled with a loose shell plate can easily cause flipped primers.

If you can watch several tubes of primers go down the RF without flipping, it's not to blame.

jj

I am worried that I need to get new parts. I was reading that the “funnel” needs to be only hand tightened and a bit loose. I might have deformed it. Has anybody gotten new “upgraded” parts from Dillon and if so what did you get? I am using a 1050 so I don’t have the 650 priming  issue. I can see some of the primers flipping when going in the RF 100 tube. In addition, sometimes the whole deal just jambs up. Any additional thoughts?

Every once in awhile a primer gets stuck where the plastic piece is (blue or red). I just turn up the rheostat, and it will shake itself loose and then I turn it back down. I have gotten replacement red and blue plastic pieces, but that was because I misplaced them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing, the 1050 can flip primers if the shell plate is loose.

I wouldn't think you need a new top plastic piece, but it wouldn't hurt to try a new one.

You should be able to drop a tray of primers, turn it on, and walk away from it when everything is right.

jj

18 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I am worried that I need to get new parts. I was reading that the “funnel” needs to be only hand tightened and a bit loose. I might have deformed it. Has anybody gotten new “upgraded” parts from Dillon and if so what did you get? I am using a 1050 so I don’t have the 650 priming  issue. I can see some of the primers flipping when going in the RF 100 tube. In addition, sometimes the whole deal just jambs up. Any additional thoughts?

I have an RF100 that flips Winchester Small Rifle primers...  They sit above the tube and spin...  Sometimes it jams the oncoming primers when one just sits and spins, so I end up taking the top off to fix it...  It happened so often that I started running my RF100 without the top...  I ended up hovering over the RF100 clearing jams...  My RF100 has loaded well over 40,000 Federal SPP primers without much drama...  Maybe it's worn out or it just doesn't like WSR primers...  I have no idea.

I contacted Dillon and they sent me some replacement parts...  They didn't help...  Dillon said that the WSR primers are out of round and don't work well in an RF100...  Other people here on the forum say WSR primers work great in their RF100...  not for me... 

I'm back to my trusty flip tray and pickup tubes...  :angry:

Okay, guys, here's the secret to getting the Dillon RF 100 automatic primer tube filler to work like a German train schedule.

You must, and I emphasize must, have the stabilizer plate properly adjusted for the RF to operate properly.

Remove the clear cover and observe how the primers come through. Notice that if the stabilizer plate is adjusted too far outward, the primers will stack up and stall. If it is adjusted too far inward the primers will fall through the rejection cut and just continue to circle. When the stabilizer is adjusted correctly they will come through like good little soldiers, and fall into the tube. 

Running the machine slow is counter productive. If the stabilizer plate is set correctly it will work at a very rapid pace and the tube will fill in about a minute. The two minute shut-off is there to let you know that if it has taken that long to fill, then something may be amiss.

Also, I have a spray can of plastic cleaner/polish that I bought for taking the crud off motorcycle helmet visors. It works great on the inside of that little plastic stabilizer plate as well as the top of the clear plastic cover. Keeps them slippery.

Edited by MikieM