Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Cutting

camaross400

I have seen people cut brass to set their Swage rod on their 1050. How do you cut the brass? I tried to use a Dremel, but it didn’t work so well. Is there a specific attachment I need to get or do I need to cut it with something else?

I do understand that there are other methods as well as the instructions in the 1050 manual. I have used them. I just want to know how to cut the brass like the picture attached.0a13b3ab8e1d9938344fbc5f7701f6e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never done it, but a milling machine, or filing may do the job.  Of course, milling machines are not common at home.

The Dremel would seem to be viable depending on the tip used.

Maybe a hacksaw combined with filing?

Guy

I've never done it, but a milling machine, or filing may do the job.  Of course, milling machines are not common at home.

The Dremel would seem to be viable depending on the tip used.

Maybe a hacksaw combined with filing?

Guy

That might be an option. I think a buddy of mine has a milling machine in his garage.

You don't really need to cut the base of the case.  just use a Dremel cutoff wheel to put a couple of full length slices in the wall (at least on 9mm/45ACP).  Then trim out the slice and a small window in the base (so you can see the swage rod deptch.

You don't really need to cut the base of the case.  just use a Dremel cutoff wheel to put a couple of full length slices in the wall (at least on 9mm/45ACP).  Then trim out the slice and a small window in the base (so you can see the swage rod deptch.

What cutoff wheel do you have? Is it a specific kind that you all bought?

You can do it with a dremel but make sure you have a tight hold on the casing preferably with a vise. I clamped a casing to my work bench and it turned out okay.

What cutoff wheel do you have? Is it a specific kind that you all bought?