Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is softer, Win or CCI SPP?

balmo

Winchester are definitely much softer. Not just a little bit. A 650 will easily keep Wins below flush, whereas many of your CCIs will end up barely down flush, which isn’t good enough for a hammer fired gun in DA.

People don’t think about the harder cup making it more of a challenge for your press to seat them - hard primers aren’t just a factor when being hit by a hammer with a lightweight spring underneath it. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I have ran over 150,000 CCI primers in the last 2 years. Most through Sprinfield xd and xdm pistols and over 50,000 through a Sig Sauer Max 1911 and a STI Edge.  I am using a hornady lnl press and have only had 3 failures.  Triggers on edge and Max are set at 1 pound 12 oz. Springfield Armory  at 3 pounds.   Winchester is softer, but it hasn't made A difference in my guns.

I prefer the CCI’s over the winchesters (and others) because they seat more reliably in the reloading machine.  I’ve always attributed this to the CCI being a bit harder and maybe the coating a bit slicker.  I also find that the CCI’s ignite more reliably.  Of course, this might be one of those “your mileage may vary” observations...

Edited by jkrispies

31 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

I prefer the CCI’s over the winchesters (and others) because they seat more reliably in the reloading machine.  I’ve always attributed this to the CCI being a bit harder and maybe the coating a bit slicker.  I also find that the CCI’s ignite more reliably.  Of course, this might be one of those “your mileage may vary” observations...

Same here. CCI just seem "better" in many ways for me. Winchesters hang up in my pal filler where CCI (and Fed)just flow like water. They are definitely slicker in that regard. And they do indeed seat easier. With the pal filler one of the big pluses is the small package size. They can be dumped easily just by flipping. 

• 4 weeks later...