Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting back into reloading on 1050

Hi everyone, I am getting back into using my 1050 after being away from the hobby for a while.  I plan on finally changing calibers, as well as taking it apart for a good cleaning and lubrication.   I already replaced my Redding competition seat and taper crimp die with the Dillon ones, which makes cleaning out the lead and wax lube much easier. I also adjusted the powder die to bell the mouth a bit more.  The rounds already look nicer, but it was odd that I am doing better with the rounded seating insert than the semi wad cutter.  I am loading 126gr semi wad cutters with hardness of BHN 16 .  The wadcutter was seating the bullets crooked, but the round side seems fine. 

I have  a few other questions:

1) It looks like I can use the Hornady die lock rings to set up a secondary tool head, which will need some fiddling with powder measure each time.  Have people been successful with this?  I already have dies and lots of Hornady lock rings from my LNL days, so it would be great to use the 1050 for everything for the price of a shell plate and the large primer system.  223 someday, but that’s a different project. 

2) I noticed there are many interesting looking products on the market for auto drive, bullet feeders, as well as some custom aftermarket replacements of shell plates, sewage rods, powder funnels, bearing kits, spill stops, etc.   I’ve been reading the posts about some of these, and it’s unclear if these are solutions looking for a problem, or more relevant to auto drive users who will be making hundreds of thousands of rounds a year.   Besides for the lighting module, which looks great, are any of these other mods valuable enough to be considered necessary, as in Dillon should have put them there in the first place as OEM?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ShrinkMD said:

1) It looks like I can use the Hornady die lock rings to set up a secondary tool head, which will need some fiddling with powder measure each time.  Have people been successful with this? 

2) I noticed there are many interesting looking products on the market for auto drive, bullet feeders, as well as some custom aftermarket replacements of shell plates, sewage rods, powder funnels, bearing kits, spill stops, etc.  

1.  Why not just get a a second powder measure.  Or: an alternative would be to get the powder bar that has a micrometer built into it made by Uniquetec.

2.  The Mr Bullet bullet feeder is worth buying but you will also want to pitch the included mounting system that attaches to the case feeder and buy the plastic mount that attaches to a pipe mounted to your loading bench.  Do a search on this forum for detailed information.  

3.  The bearing kit is good as is the Fast and Friendly index pawl but the other things I would just suggest buying if you find that you need them.

Good Luck!!