Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Truck repair bills taking my Major match entry fee funds

RangerTrace

I've got a 2017 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO that I've had since last September and it's in the shop for the 3rd time do to rodent damage.  And this is the 2nd time in 4 weeks.  For those that don't know, Toyota and some other makes have gone to soy based wiring insulation to be "green".  All I know is it has cost me a lot of green........

FWIW, I've tried just about everything.  Sonic devices under the hood, and 3 different rodent repellant sprays.  And I live in the city.  No open fields or creeks any where near my house.  

15 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

And I assume your truck insurance doesn't cover that.  I hate to hear that.  May be time for a pet snake.

The first time it happened I still had the paper tag on the truck.  Insurance did pay with a $500 deductible.  Last month is was $540, so I just paid it.  This time it's $1600, so I gotta call the insurance company again.

Cats may be the next step......

Trace, you will find that you can lower comprehensive deductible to $50 and it only costs a few bucks more a year.

Mine was $500 and when we broke a windshield. After we got it replaced I called insurance and got comprehensive down to $50 for $9 more per year.

Worth checking out before claiming again.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

Trace, you will find that you can lower comprehensive deductible to $50 and it only costs a few bucks more a year.

Mine was $500 and when we broke a windshield. After we got it replaced I called insurance and got comprehensive down to $50 for $9 more per year.

Worth checking out before claiming again.

I'm going to give that a try

2 hours ago, EEH said:

I’m just sitting here thinking of something to say like,,wow I never had Rats eat my Chevy...

I've got a 2016 Chevy pick-up sitting in the same drive way and they've never touched it.  The BMW that was parked in the exact same spot as the Tundra for 2 years....never touched.  Soy based wire insulation is the culprit and Toyota should make it right.

13 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I've got a 2016 Chevy pick-up sitting in the same drive way and they've never touched it.  The BMW that was parked in the exact same spot as the Tundra for 2 years....never touched.  Soy based wire insulation is the culprit and Toyota should make it right.

I couldn't agree more.  This "green" thing has made life difficult.  Good luck and ask them to coat the new wires with hot pepper sauce.  Lol

I feel your pain. My 2010 Tundra, although it wasn't  caused by rats, is going in the shop the end of the week...I got up at 2am on Monday morning, my first day back at work since 12/21, and had to be in Miami at 9am. Got everything ready, packed the truck, got 2 miles from the house, and damn deer ran out in front of me...Prob $3k worth of damage to the front of the truck...and I still had to go to Miami.

20180108_031837.jpg

I have seen rodent damage since the early 80's.  Marmots, pack rats, prairie dogs, chipmunks,  deer mice,  and even a Blue Heeler.

I have seen what appeared to be orchestrated multiple attacks on the same vehicle.  They seem to know which wires will stop

a vehicle for rarely is it something inconsequential that is chewed.  In Independent shops and Dealerships  I have seen Toyotas,

Jaguars, BMW, Subaru, Rover, Nissan, Honda, Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, Dodge, Buick, Lincoln, VW, Porsche,  and I'm sure I've

forgotten a few.  I have seen everything tried with varying degrees of success.  Cats seem to be the best tool. Predator urine

has been effective but hurts the resale value.  Traps can work as can illuminating the under hood or under car area, but the

Marmots attacked in broad daylight.

Good Luck.

Not a good weeknto be a Tundra driver. Went to load up the garbage to take to the dump this morning...tailgate didn't want.to close...came off the hinge...WTF? Finally got it back on the hinge and closed...then I noticed why it came off and why it wouldn't close. Somebody apparently backed into me, bending the bumper in, bending the rear passenger quarter panel, and caused the bumper to bulge, which is why the tailgate wouldn't close. And, of course, they never left a note or anything. Have to file yet another insurance claim in the same week.

20180113_115839.jpg

20180113_115845.jpg

20180113_115850.jpg

This Hate rant has turned into a discussion, which is beyond the bounds of the rules for the Hate Forum. Thus, it must be closed.Please review the Hate Forum Rules:http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8097[note: this is a generic response]