Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 38sc with 9mm dies?

Darthrader18

Does any one know where I can find a list of which die sets (serial numbers) share dies, asking about Dillon specifically. I'm going to start loading for my 2011 38sc. And I was wondering if all 3 dies are different or just one or 2. I plan on getting a full conversion from 9-38sc with individual powder measures. So trying to save time by just swapping a die or 2 out.  Thanks all.

Use the #3 shell plate. It's a much smoother process. The 9mm plate works but the 223 plate seems to eliminate any issues I was having using the 9mm plate and 38sc. I load 38sc and 9mm and have 1 head for each. All I have to do is switch heads, and shell plates and I'm off and running. It's so much easier than messing with seating depths, oak, ect. I use the Dillon Dies for 38sc, except I'm trying a Redding comp seating die. On the 9mm head I have the lee undersize die to help eliminate any Glock bulge that I may miss during sorting, but my seating and clamp die are Dillon. I try to keep everything as simple and easy. 

I get the thought process about swapping out a die or two, but the time you would waste resetting the OAL, and crimp I don't think are worth it. Just have the two full setups and switch heads. It takes me about 10 min to make a full change over from 38sc to 9mm, and thats cause I clean and lube it during the change. 

Edited by Mikeski

32 minutes ago, Darthrader18 said:

I am aware of where to get the dies I'm looking for a list of serial/ part numbers are associated with each individual die so I can cross check. 

That page shows the part numbers. Select a caliber and look at the part listings... Example below. 

dies.jpg

Edited by ChuckS

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

That page shows the part numbers. Select a caliber and look at the part listings... Example below. 

dies.jpg

I am looking for the serial numbers for each individual die not the die sets. Like what's the serial number for the 9mm seater die. Is it the same as the 38sc die? I have a full 38sc die set. And waiting on the funds for a dedicated 38sc powder measure. And I'll be able to just swap tool heads and plate. 

Edited by Darthrader18
Spell check

58 minutes ago, Darthrader18 said:

I am looking for the serial numbers for each individual die not the die sets. Like what's the serial number for the 9mm seater die. Is it the same as the 38sc die? I have a full 38sc die set. And waiting on the funds for a dedicated 38sc powder measure. And I'll be able to just swap tool heads and plate. 

The example graphic IS for the individual sizing die. But, in any case, this should work for you:

Contact Us

Dillon Precision Products, Inc. 

8009 East Dillon's Way
Scottsdale, AZ 85260 U.S.A.

Call Toll Free 800-223-4570 or 480-948-8009
Fax 480-998-2786
Edited by ChuckS