Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

160gr load data for 9mm revolver?

matteekay

Hey there, folks!

Finally picked up a revo in 9mm and I'm looking for some load data for 160gr coated lead bullets. I've found with my .38 Special loads that I like heavy bullets and fast-burning powder, and since I don't need to worry about actuating a slide, I figured I can go very heavy and slow. 

So... anyone have a pet load? I'm thinking Titegroup might be a good candidate. 

My current 9mm loads are actually using Sport Pistol: 3.4 grains under a 147gr SNS cast .356 bullet, yielding an average FPS of 941 and a PF of 138. I can try walking back the powder but I'm concerned about things getting dirty and moonclipped rounds not dropping in cleanly.

That's a great thought. My taper crimp is just to the point where it leaves a slight bite-ring in the bullet's coating, but I can probably dial that up a hair without breaking through.

Here's the data I have right now on Sport Pistol (from my own testing). You can extrapolate a bit from here as to what lowering the charge will do:

- SNS Casting 147gr RN coated lead bullet

- Alliant Sport Pistol powder

- Mixed brass

- Winchester Small Magnum Pistol Primers

- OAL 1.175"

- Fired from a 5" 1911

3.4 Grains

High: 955

Low: 924

Average: 941

ES: 31

SD: 8

Average PF: 138.33

3.5 Grains

High: 962

Low: 924

Average: 951

ES: 38

SD: 10

Average PF: 139.8

3.6 Grains

High: 996

Low: 957

Average: 969

ES: 39

SD: 10

Average PF: 142.44

Note: I was getting some fluctuation with the 3.5gr throw. I suspect it's actually a little quicker than what it tested at.

I decided that I'm going to try a different powder first before going to the heavier bullet (as I have everything on-hand already). Let's see what a 147 and Titegroup can do. I'll also try dialing back on Sport Pistol.

I have loaded almost 20k rounds of 147 using titegroup and here’s what I’ve found. 

Shot from  Tanfoglio S II:

10k 147 gr .357  Eggleston RN OAL 1.08 3.2 gr TG PF 134. These were pushing pressure limits because of the short OAL required. Even with a reamed barrel the nose profile still required the short length. Shot real soft and accurate but the hassles made me switch to another bullet. 

6K of ACME 147 gr .356 FP 1.14 OAL 3.2 gr TG PF 130+ These were by far easier to load and shot well, not quite as soft.  But after testing with FMJ Precision Delta .147 I decided to switch to PD. 

4K of PD 147 gr .355 FMJRN OAL 1.14 3.4 gr TG PF 130+. These are a bit snappier than the coated and cost more, but the 25+ yard accuracy is great, they load easily (no worries about coating and such) and they fly much cleaner (less smoke and residue from and in my gun). 

Precision Delta is amazing to order from, their customer service is outstanding and shipping is included in price. However, to be fair both Eggleston and ACME are also great in the CS category and those cool wood boxes from ACME are almost worth the purchase. 

BTW many who warn about TG and the dangers of double loads I really don’t understand. All loading has safety issues and we just need to pay attention. I also experimented with 147 gr BB RN, they ran good but had same issues as Eggleston so I chose the latter for price. 

PS all loads use minimal crimp, no,dents. 

Edited by HesedTech

That's great data - thank you! I'm guessing you were running into OAL issues because you're using a CZ-pattern gun? I know the 9mm I load for my 1911 and revo won't even chamber in my brother-in-law's Tanfoglio. 

I agree with you about Titegroup. I load it as carefully as I load any powder and haven't run into any problems. I will say that, as an experiment, I intentionally triple-charged a .38 Special case once and the powder still wasn't visible at the mouth. That was a good indication of how attentive I needed to be with it.

I had actually forgotten that I was using mag primers. I think the only reason I have them is because they were on sale, lol. I'll switch those out and try lower Sport Pistol charges first. Maybe run 3.0 - 3.2 just to have the numbers on-hand. Hell, might as well load half with magnum primers and half without just to get even more data!

I already have one powder measure set up with TG so I'll give it a whirl at some point. I use Titegroup in my .38 Special loads but I think the larger chamber helps guard against nuking the bullet's butt.

That's really odd about WST as that's my go-to for .45 ACP. 

So I've now gone from a 160gr load to simply lowering the charge on what I already have. Nothing like derailing my own thread, lol!

5 hours ago, matteekay said:

That's great data - thank you! I'm guessing you were running into OAL issues because you're using a CZ-pattern gun? I know the 9mm I load for my 1911 and revo won't even chamber in my brother-in-law's Tanfoglio. 

Yes the Tan and the CZ are almost exactly the same and the OAL is the issue. I also found the chambers are closer to SAMI specs than my SIGs or other brands, which makes the cartridge size an issue. The deep set Eggleston and BB bullets would bulge CBC brass more and cause them to fail plunk testing, so I had to sort out those before a loading run. What a pain, however with both ACME FP and PD FMJ I don’t  run into any rejected rounds due to the brass manufacturer. 

My son runs a Shadow 2 and the SP01 and the loads are basically identical to my TF, with two exceptions, the Shadow 2 has a longer barrel making the velocities slightly higher and the TF has a polygon barrel.  Since I load for the two of us everything has to plunk and pass PF on both our pistols. 

BTW if you are doing some high volume loading and need to be assured the rounds will run, as in competition, after figuring out the OAL use the Hundo 100 round case gauge. Sure a lot easier and faster than using a barrel or my single round gauge. Here’s a link:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/case-gauges/

Note; I get nothing from BS Pro shop, I first heard about the tool here on BE forums. 

Yes no need for mag primers. Since we have reduced hammer spring weights I run fully seated Federal primers and when I can’t get them WSP and both run well with zero failures when seated properly. Now CCI... run them on stock guns only. WSP are easy to get locally, I have to special order Federal and they are normally back ordered. 

Edited by HesedTech

4 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Yes no need for mag primers. Since we have reduced hammer spring weights I run fully seated Federal primers and when I can’t get them WSP and both run well with zero failures when seated properly. Now CCI... run them on stock guns only. WSP are easy to get locally, I have to special order Federal and they are normally back ordered. 

You're talking to a revo shooter - I have a stockpile of 7k or so Federal SPP's and my 650 is set up to seat the primers deeper than stock. ;)

So far, the 9mm revo likes Winchesters just fine. That works for me, as I can hold on to the Feds for my more sensitive S&W's. I don't remember the last time I saw Federal 100's on a store shelf...

9 hours ago, matteekay said:

You're talking to a revo shooter -

B) The only “revo” I have is a Stock Uberti 1873 replica LC45 with an extra Cylinder for 45acp, we auto shooters always have 45 acp of some sort on hand. Fun to shoot and really accurate. 

Hey, have fun coming up with a load and sending it down range!!

Edited by HesedTech

After much testing and getting frustrated with the accuracy of my new 929, I finally found the most accurate load for my gun. I used Bayou 160 Rn sized .358 with 3.1 gr of N320 at 1.150. I had tried 105-160's and didn't get good accuracy till I went back to the old revolver accuracy secret of sizing the bullet to the cylinder diameter or .001 over. Since my barrel is .355 and my Cylinder measured .358 I decided to try .358 and that's when my groups shrunk dramatically. Went from 4" 25 yard groups to 1.5" groups and that was with my Ransom rest. 

We just got back from the range where we tried out our new tuned S&W 929’s, first batch of 160gr .358 Bayou chrono’d with brand new Labradar.

2.8gr N320

OAL 1.20

125-127 PF on both guns.

Did not have time to test for accuracy as we ran out of range time.