Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine extension 101

AngelDeVille

I have noticed that magazine extensions can be quite costly.

What makes them worth the added expense for competition? Round count? Added weight? Fashion statement?

Is aluminum more desirable than polymer and why?

I ask because magazines for my pistol can be had with +2 polymer extensions for the same price as the standard capacity. 

For $15 more each I can have factory aluminum +2 but they don't have much added weight, but I perceive them as more durable than the factory polymer.

A company makes replacement +2's for $38 each, and they are quite stout, but no cool colors at this time....

I can also purchase new springs and followers for $16 each that make the +2 extensions a +4.

Edited by AngelDeVille

Depends on the class your shooting but regardless of that the added weight of the metal ones is nice to ensure the empty mag comes flying out.

I would say the polymers are more than enough durable tho.

Edited by coolcw1987

Thanks,

I really don't see myself spending the $38 just for baseplates.

I think I can justify a couple more of the factory aluminum ones for primary and a couple polymer for backup.

All magazines seem to drop free without drama.

It all depends on the game and division you are shooting. for USPSA Limited and Open you really want to have all the rounds you can fit to be as competitive as possible, for Production many run slightly extended pads to make seating magazines slightly easier, in Single Stack extended pads are often necessary depending on the mag well to aid in seating magazines. 

Agree with above that for production, not worth it. They might make the mags a little prettier out of the box but as soon as they hit the gravel a couple of times, they're just as dinged. For Limited and Open, yes. Dawson makes silver ones that probably don't show the dings so bad. 

Edited by Mcfoto
spelling

• 11 months later...

Agree with the above, for limited and open, its about capacity and compatibility with your magwell.  I ran TTI +5's on my G24 in limited this season but did have to file fit my SJC magwell to clear up minor interference.  I'm not sure I would buy the TTI's again, performance is solid but I hear you when it comes to stomaching the price tag.  Taylor Freelance Polymers will be the next ones I try. 

I’ve never found the added weight that helpful (production) but I do like how some brands fit in my hand. The lip design, width/height/angle of some allow them to snug up for a better index. Factory base pads being short tend to be a little less consistent for me. 

Of of course I could just stop being a pansey and practice more...