Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Copy or Original

Fo0

• 2 weeks later...

Professional gunsmiths spend time and money developing signature cuts/modifications/parts/style to provide their clients the best they can do and at the same time  put food on their table. If you are too cheap and or impatient to have it done by the originator and feel good about it then be prepared to be called what you are. Any respectable smith will not copy another smiths work.

Rich

If a gun designer or builder has designed a sufficiently unique design or technology they can copyright the design or apply for a patent on it whichever is applicable to the product itself.  If registration is granted,  it will provide protection against copying.  

If preservation and exclusivity of the design are important to the designer then these legal protections would be appropriate otherwise the designs are likely to be copied.

I may be wrong but I thought the OP meant like you see a cool custom online from Builder A. You then commission Builder A to make you the exact gun you saw online. So its a copy of a gun they've already built for someone else. 

I don't think they meant taking Builder As design and having Builder C make it for them.

By all means please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I may be wrong but I thought the OP meant like you see a cool custom online from Builder A. You then commission Builder A to make you the exact gun you saw online. So its a copy of a gun they've already built for someone else. 

I don't think they meant taking Builder As design and having Builder C make it for them.

By all means please correct me if I'm wrong. 
I was under the same impression.

I recently built my first pistol and did a lot of searching around before settling on a design. 

I like a lot of things from several if the big guys but there was always one thing here or there I didn't like at all. 

So what I did was took all my favorite aspects of each build and combined them to make exactly what I wanted. 

So I guess you could say I "copied" 2-3 different guns.