Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal grips, mags wedging

mach1soldier

Anyone have a steel grip and find that magazines can wedge themselves when reloading fast? Not in the gun but just barely started. 

i can literally get a mag wedged in so hard I have to hammer it out if not perfectly straight when inserting. 

Im thinking about switching to the PT evo and wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue

Probably not inserting the mags in just right. I’ve wedged them in their too but never had to hammer them out. Plastic grips are more forgiving than metal so if my reloads aren’t good this will happen. It’s the only downside to metal grips. I shoot a lot of production so my reloads are pretty descent. 

All steel grip guns are more prone to mag wedge jams due to misalignment between the mag and grip during the reload. You can try to round some of the edges inside the grip. But the real solution is to insert the mag at the correct angle.

You can get away with really sloppy reloading angles and actions with a plastic grip gun. A steel grip will expose all of that sloppiness. 

oh yeah man, if i have the mag off axis relative to the opening i can wedge it in there so hard i have to use "shoulder strength" do undo it. a simple "wrist strength" flick or tug won't work. either with my atlas or dawson magwell. pt evo grip.